how have suspension forks evolved in 7 years?

jimmer72
jimmer72 Posts: 3
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi - i am looking for some [expert?!] advice on suspension forks please.
I am making a tentative return to mountain biking following kids and back surgery. I snook out to Afan yesterday and re-found my love again. I ride a boardman pro HT with Marzocchi Bomber MX pro forks from '04, and well they didn't really cut the mustard yesterday. I may have them poorly se-up but i am not sure about this as they have been ok on less bumpy rides - but flat out yesterday and my arms took more than the forks. So... do i upgrade (to what?) or is there really little real difference in forks other than marketing and i need to sort my arms?! Thanks - ps go easy on the old age related comments, i had enough of them yesterday...

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It might just be that the forks are knackered! Have they been serviced recently?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Far enough to make a difference. Depends on your budget though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the comments. My forks are in good nick - damping works, seals good, right pre-load but mayne not the right re-bound/damping. I guess what i want to know is, if i were to ride the trail on the '12 equivalent forks or similar, whether i would benefit from a plusher less physical ride. I realise i was the one riding, but have forks really come on in the last few years or is it marketing hype? whats different? materials, engineering and design? control? anyone actually know?!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you are expecting more than you will get.

the MX were and still are one of the better forks out there.

sounds like time for a service to check that there is nothing wrong with them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I changed my 2006 MX Bomber Comps (105mm) to 2011 Reba RL (120mm) in the summer.

My '06 'hopper rides like a different bike now. I was riding a fair bit of downhill in the summer and once I swapped the forks over I found I could go a hell of a lot faster without feeling like I was gonna be thrown off the bike. And on the XC trails they give a far more comfortable ride. Money well spent I'd say
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd service the bomber. As nick says, the mx is a great fork.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I changed my 2006 MX Bomber Comps (105mm) to 2011 Reba RL (120mm) in the summer.

My '06 'hopper rides like a different bike now. I was riding a fair bit of downhill in the summer and once I swapped the forks over I found I could go a hell of a lot faster without feeling like I was gonna be thrown off the bike. And on the XC trails they give a far more comfortable ride. Money well spent I'd say

Might be more down to the amount of travel though. If he's riding the same kinds of trails on same travel forks, it might not be as big a difference as you have felt. I've always wanted to ride QR back to back with 20mm to see if I can feel a difference...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Interestingly I built my other Zaskar up with an MX Comp from 04 - my own has a Reba SL. My mate who bought them wanted to know the difference. The Reba is more adjustable and lighter, but the MX was made when Marzocchi was at the top of the game. With twin SSV dampers, oil bath, this can be tuned internally and is very smooth. Not as good as the Reba no, but better than RS and Fox 'R' forks.