Cannondale CAAD5

smidsy
smidsy Posts: 5,273
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I know its a fairly old bike but just wondered if anyone has had one and can suggest what works well on them e.g wheels, tyres, seat posts etc. etc.

Mine currently has R20 wheels and Gator Hardshell tyres. Seems to run fine but can be a little harsh on anything less than new tarmac.

Or is this all personal preference stuff??

Cheers
Yellow is the new Black.

Comments

• tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Had the Saeco team edition. Loved it , didnt seem overly harsh at the time , but in retrospect and now riding more modern and carbon frames I dont think I would like to go back there. Cannondale Caad 3's to 5's do have a bit of a rep for being harsh, at least 5's have the hour glass back end.

First job run some 25's Think you put in O/P you already were. Then get a Carbon Seatpost (Spesh Pro pave Sl would be good but cant remember if Caad 5 is 27.2) then a carbon stem.

Are you feeling it through the front or back, If its the front you could try the old double bar tape trick for a real cheap fix.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I had a 5 years ago - wish I'd never have sold it: stiff, really nice ride, excellent climbing bike.

I personally didn't find it harsh at all - no need for double tape, 25s, carbon seat posts, any of that.

11 - 21 cassette, Mich Pro Race 23s, off you go.

So long as you have decent wheels (throw some Kyseriums on there or some Planet X 50s - no point on spending millions), some decent tyres and pads, then off you go.

If you want to start saving weight then yup, throw some carbon on, but they are sort pof cool semi retro ali.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Tim
    Yes 27.2 seatpost according to google search (no verniers to measure).

Yossie
    11-21? can only find 11-23, anyway I think the larger is Ok for me as I seem to spend a lot of time in the lowest gear round where I am and with my current strength level on the inclined stuff - Must try harder!

Now I have had 5 trips out it does not seem so harsh so will stick with it until I fancy some upgrades.

Thanks for you responses.
    Yellow is the new Black.