Keeping warm on a split journey commute

stanarchist
stanarchist Posts: 44
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
My commute to work involves riding from home to the train station, approx. 10 miles followed by a 30-40min train journey, (with possibility of standing around if delayed etc.) followed by a shorter ride at the other end from station to office.
I'm always nice and warm on the ride but find when I get on the train I cool down and start to get cold in my back and torso quite easily.
I always wear decent cycling clobber - this morning was typical for a cold day, merino long sleeve base layer, Foska winter jacket with endura convert wind/waterproof , buff etc.
Other than getting changed into warm dry (gears always slightly damp from sweating) clobber,does anyone have any practiacal ideas on how to maintain my body core temp. on the train journey ???
FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)

Comments

• RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    I have a split commute and don't really have too many problems, but tend to have a reasonably reliale railway line without too many unexpected delays.

For me the key is to good breathable fabrics - I usually layer up with a windproof merino singlet, long sleeved merino mid-layer and either a mountaineering breathable fleece, or something cheaper and thicker depending on whether it's sub-zero. When I get to the station I tend to unzip to vent off any moisture as much as possible, then zip up again once I've cooled down.

I tend not to cycle on wet days as I end up in a sweaty mess!

If you need something light to throw over you for delayed trains - what about using the mountaineering solution of a belay jacket. They have a smilar problem of sweaty exercise with minimal baggage followed by cold exposure whilst resting. A cheaper one for example:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002DPUB2M

HTH - Rufus.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Ditch the waterproof shell in favour of a windproof-only material. Carry the waterproof for actual rain.
    There are loads of non-waterproofs from simple Pertex shells, heavier duty Paramo windproofs to high tech soft shells.
    When you stop, put your insulation on ASAP. I use a woolly hat and a sleeveless padded gillet that goes over my shell.
    Consider slowing down towards the end of your 10 miler to cool down before you stop.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Do you wear a rucksack?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I used to have a split commute.

I think the trick is to keep the perspiration down to a minimum.

I agree with the earlier posting about windproof and not a waterproof top - especially one that's only wind-proof on the front of the garment which allows you to keep dry. Changing into a dry base layer at the start of the second leg is also a good idea.

I used to have a pair of dry socks and shorts in the pannier and I'd change into them at the end of the first leg if needed i.e. if it was raining.

Bob
  • cheers fellas

colder than a witches t#t up here today - stuck an old Fox lightly padded gillet in the saddle bag (dont wear a rucksack) and stuck it on when I got to the station. Wouldn't say I was toasty but I was certainly warmer than before
    Just need to get a new book now - finished the latest this morning
    FCN = 9 (Tourer) 8 (Mountain Bike)