'Hiking' Garmin GPS unit for MTB

jehannum5
jehannum5 Posts: 54
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Has anyone used a 'hiking' GPS for cycling? I would like a GPS for MTB purposes but would also like the functionality of a hiking GPS (for hiking, x-country skiing etc). I note that Garmin has a unit (the oregon range for example) that has a HRM capability, colour mapping etc. Anyone used it?

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what functions are you after ?

the garmin cycle specific ones garmin edge, are very impressive the edge 800 does pretty much everything, from maps to full on training data..

i been using the edge 500 and been more than impressed with it,..
  • Good question, I'll clarify:
    Large display for contour lines/topographic maps
    Ability to give location as a grid Reference (to plot position onto a paper topographic map)
    waypoint/backtracking would be nice also
    HRM integration a plus but not necessary.

I'd originally thought of a garmin 800 but now am looking at a fully functioned gps that can be used for cycling as well..I don't need a cyclecomputer 'replacement'
    95% of the time I will be using it for MTB/road riding. I need the topo map/GR function for MTB 'exploring' and hiking (the other 5% of use). I totally agree, the garmin 500/800 looks awesome but I'm willing to sacrifice some cycling functionality to prevent me needing another GPS for hiking. I would be happy with the Garmin 800 if it offers similar functions required for hiking. It doesn't need to have an electronic compass BTW.

So my question is of those who have used a GPS for navigation in the field as well as cycling....

cheers
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    I haven't used a hiking GPS like an oregon for MTB'ing, but I've used my Edge 800 plenty of times for hiking and it works a treat.

It does offer pretty much the same functionality if all you're after is an OS map in a digital format, the 800s do have HR attachments, however in terms of recording your hikes I'm not sure how it would work as it's all setup for bike specific things and when you download it to training centre its all recorded as a biking activity.

If you're not after recording the hikes and just to use it as a mapping system then it's spot on, unless there is a way to change the recording type to an alternative sport?
  • Briggo,
    Thanks... but can you get a grid reference on the garmin 800?
  • Briggo wrote:
    It does offer pretty much the same functionality if all you're after is an OS map in a digital format, the 800s do have HR attachments, however in terms of recording your hikes I'm not sure how it would work as it's all setup for bike specific things and when you download it to training centre its all recorded as a biking activity

I use the Garmin 800 for hiking as well and Garmin Connect does let you store the activity as a hike. Agree with Briggo that it does work a treat for both activities.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    I used to use a Dakota 20 for both cycling and Hiking was a very good unit and did nearly everything I needed, including heart rate
    you can also use the Garmin Oregon series has a larger screen than the Dakota
    I have updated to the Garmin 800 just for a few more cycling specific things like lap recording etc
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Briggo
    Briggo wrote:
    It does offer pretty much the same functionality if all you're after is an OS map in a digital format, the 800s do have HR attachments, however in terms of recording your hikes I'm not sure how it would work as it's all setup for bike specific things and when you download it to training centre its all recorded as a biking activity

I use the Garmin 800 for hiking as well and Garmin Connect does let you store the activity as a hike. Agree with Briggo that it does work a treat for both activities.

Oh really, how do you do that? I'd love to know, often use it for hiking.
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Briggo wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

I think when you upload it to the Connect site you then edit the uploaded activity and select it is a hike
    I am sure this is the way :D
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • Briggo wrote:
    Briggo wrote:

if you go into your dashboard on Garmin Connect (once you have uploaded your hiking route) and click on "Quick Edit" a drop down menu then gives you option as to what type of activity it is. In the drop down menu you can choose hiking.
  • Briggo
    Ah I hardly use Garmin Connect, use just training centre to download routes.

Might have to use connect in that case.
  • weeve
    weeve Posts: 393
    I use a oregon 450 with the 15 quid mount and an extra zip tie which I slip on and off - on both the mtb and race bike when needed. Mount it on stem so weight balanced... its not heavy as a unit but the batteries add some.

Reason is this model is it uses regular batteries too...so when I did a camping 8 days transalp I didnt need to carry a charger/find somewhere to charge it ...

I do use reachargeable batteries when home though as best -otherwise it uses a couple of AAs in 10-14 hours.
    In very bright light you have to stop and check route occasionally...I plot the track at home and then just zoom in or out. Been excellent...managed to do full Transalp route with no map
  • Brood
    Brood Posts: 138
    How bad is the Oregon 450 screen in full sunlight? It sounds like it's totally unreadable in certain situations, is it just the angle as it's attached to the bike or do you need to shade the screen to read it?

I'm considering the 450, Dakota 20 or Gpsmap 62s and everything I've read points to the Oregon 450 being the worst out of the 3 in direct sunlight.
    Canyon Nerve AM 6 2011