windproof skull cap?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
something thin to go under a helmet but warmer than a buff/bandana

Any ideas?
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    DHB one from Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-skull-cap/

Had it/used if for the last two years. Well made, not too expensive and does the job. They do a Windtex version but IME the 'standard' version works so well I don't know why you'd need to spend the extra few quid.

Sorry - I'm not sure how it compares to a buff or similar but I've never been out on a ride thinking - "I wish this skull cap was warmer/better/Victoria Pendletons thighs..."
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • I have a gore one I bought from evans. It cost a fair bit for what it is (£20, I think) but has windproof ear cover bits and a more breathable head section. It's thin, warm and hardwearing, I am happy with it.
  • 'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Got one of these from Evans last week, happy so far

http://www.greensticksurf.co.uk/craft-p ... -269-p.asp
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    +1 for the DHB one, also have a sealskinz one but prefer the DHB one
  • dodgerdog
    dodgerdog Posts: 292
    Another +1 for the DHB
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    there are a lot of skull caps out there tbh. Well the dearer ones such as the Assos stinger are very good as are the Ground Effect Baked Beanies imho.

As far as windproof goes, it could depend on whether you use or have a helmet liner that comes with some helmets.
  • maddog 2
    cheers all

anyone have the Polaris one?

Polaris_Cranium_Under_helmet_Cap.png?height=200&width=200
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    Personally I can't see the point of buying one without a peak/visor for when it rains - I'm a glasses wearer. I wear a bandana over my head/ears and then add a very cheap waterproof cap which I sourced from Condor (cheap and Condor in the same sentence?) many years ago.
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    +1 for DHB. Though my favourite is a thin, woollen beanie that appeared in my winter gloves/hats/scarves drawer.

Don't by the Sealskins one. Despite claiming to be windproof only it is in fact sweatproof, ensuring you end up with a wet, sweaty head. And the wind noise around the ears is something else.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Don't by the Sealskins one. And the wind noise around the ears is something else.

Glad someone else noticed that.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Overrated and mis-sold, like most Sealskinz kit .....
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    seanoconn wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    Don't by the Sealskins one. And the wind noise around the ears is something else.

Glad someone else noticed that.

I thought it was just me!!
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • The Rapha winter hat is the nuts - lovely fit and brilliant wicking properties
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Castelli - available from Wiggle, among others - fits over ears/under helmet, nice and warm
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • maddog 2
    cheers all. Have ordered a DHB.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Aldi sell them from time to time - fleecy with a windproof front. I think they're for running, but work well under my helmet and cover my ears.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    i went into sports direct and picked up a karrimor running hat for £3 (and some nike running gloves to use a liners for £4)

its not a fleecy windproof one, and its a little on the small side (so it mainly covers my forehead and top of ears) but does the job fine on most days.. would have appreciated something warmer today though, but for £3 i can't complain! Gloves are fine too.
  • I know the OP has already bought one but i can recommend the GripGrab Windster cap - windproof fabric onthe front , covers over the ears and light enough to fit under my helmet with no problems http://www.bike24.com/p224273.html
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I use a CP buff folded in half then put over my head with just one layer at the front and find this plenty warm enough but wind noise is a problem regardless of whatever you put on your head I've found and my glasses keep moving too as I can't locate them on my ears.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.