Wheel Set Suggestions

jedi_master
jedi_master Posts: 888
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
My brother is after a new set of wheels, they need to be as strong or stronger than what he has now for general trail use. Current wheels are Alex Ace-17 rims on unbranded Formula DC22 hubs. He is after a set with a switchable front hub, steel freehub or the option to change to a steel one and cartridge bearings. He is looking to spend around £200 but if needed may go a bit more. Wheels with hubs that are easier to get spares for and not a pain in the back side to service would be preferable.

Do not suggest Superstar wheels. Not got a problem with Superstar as a company or their components as I have had no problems with them, or the items I have bought in the past, but he doesn't what a set of their wheels as we have just sent a set back and got a refund due to a number of scratches on the rims. SS have said they are under the anodizing in which case to me that's poor QC on behalf of the manufacturer.

Comments

• oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Budget?

I've got a set of hope hubs laced to spank subrosa rims and they're proving to be strong but a lot of the time it's down to the wheel builder more than the parts. Mine were a custom build from CRC for about £330.

Sorry, I half asleep. Just re-read and spotted requirements.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    another for crc custom build pro 2s.. not as cheap as they used to be but my pro 2 on mavic 317 rims a re still true after 2 and half years.
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Halo freedoms? Might be a little bit over budget but my mate's got some and they seem to be pretty good.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    shoot i forgot, i got this fireeye hub knocked up on a mavic ex325 rim strong as again a custom bilt crc jobby had since mid 08 and done 7 trips to whistler with this rear wheel and it still true and going strong to this day.

should be able to get these in or around your budget.

fireeye

or nuke proof generator our kids been rocking a pair of them generator hubs on mavic 325 rims for years they been faultless,, crc custom build again..

also look on merlin cyles they do some good offers and ppl rate them as wheel builders..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Sun Ringle Black Flag experts are £250 on CRC at the moment, only had the gold ones left last time I looked.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Did have a look at those Sun Ringles but they was too gold and wouldn't go with the other colours on the bike. Looking about and my brother has decided he can push the buget up too these using the XM719 rims, unless there is anything better for £310 or less.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    oodboo wrote:
    Halo freedoms? Might be a little bit over budget but my mate's got some and they seem to be pretty good.

i was just about to reccomend the same thing. Easy to service, pretty bombproof, good freehub body, about £200 new if you shop about. The freehub's quite clicky; I like it but I know other do not, so that comes down to your brothers preference. Not the lightest hoops about, but for the money if you want something strong I think they're bang on.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity