Chinarello Seatpost size?

nochekmate
nochekmate Posts: 3,460
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Got a Chinarello 'Dogma' frameset to build up but anybody got any ideas on the seatpost size? I thought it was 31.6 but struggling to see how the 31.6 Easton 70 carbon post that I have is ever going to fit!

Any help/knowledge appreciated.

Comments

• You could try getting your lbs to measure it, although they might object unless you are buying your finishing kit there. You need a set of vernier calipers. They have been for sale at LIDL recently. Local car repairers, engineering shops or even technical colleges might be able to help.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Verniers are always handy if even for comedy moments such as measuring noses - digital ones for sale on the Sealey Draper seasonal sales down from £70 odd to £25.

Or just borrow two or three different sized seatposts from mates and see which fits then buy suitably. This also means that you can have some mates round and drink beer at the same time.

I personally wouldn't bother lugging a frame around 200 places explaining what you need and why.

At the worst, take frame to B & Q, take verniers off shelf, use verniers, replace verniers on shelf, sort out seatpost.

Remember: seat post will be internal, seat post clamp external edge to edge.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Digital calipers on ebay for £6
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I have a chinarello and the seatpost is 31.6mm
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Thanks for all replies - been to pal's LBS. Definitely should be 31.6mm but my Easton 31.6mm post will not fit - must be down to quality control!! :wink:
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    My fake Rolex is also the wrong size, and my daughter's fake Louis Vitton bag has strange fittings.

If you buy a fake frame then quality control may not be high in the maker's agenda I guess.
  • StefanP
    StefanP Posts: 429
    I took mine to the LBS (was just the frame) and they were ok with just putting a load of differently sized seatposts in until one fitted. Vernier calipers can give irregular readings all the way around as I don't think seat tubes are perfectly circular really. So long as you buy the seatpost there I don't think they can quibble really.