Which Samsung Galaxy s2 bike mount?

DirtyArticle
DirtyArticle Posts: 25
edited February 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I'm looking for a bike mount for my Samsung Galaxy s2 so I can use ViewRanger on the go. Does anyone have any recommendations? I want it to be waterproof, bespoke for the phone rather than generic, screen usable when in case and to give as much protection as possible.

I've found this http://www.cyclewiz.co.uk/BikeConsole-B ... .aspx?nh=0 but can't find any reviews so if anyone has any thoughts let me know.

Cheers

Comments

• oh that does look very good i might be tempted as well.

if you do get it let me know your thoughts on it. :D
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I don't think you'll find better than that, how bout you buy one and review it for everyone else!
  • That really does look tempting. I always wondered about the apparent foolishness of carrying such a phone in a plastic mount on your stem or handlebar but I guess it would probably stand a better chance of surviving a crash or fall than if it were just in your front pocket of your baggies where I tend to carry it.

My concern would be whether the vibration would cause any problems for the phone and whether the mount would be up to the vibrations and knocks projected through the bars or stem.
  • Right, I’ve ordered one of these and I will feedback accordingly. Hopefully it will arrive before the weekend and I’ll be able to use ViewRanger properly for the first time. Rather than taking my phone out of my pocket intermittently to check where I am. I did this while riding along recently and nearly dropped the phone. Hence the need for a case.

Whilst I can’t seem to find any specific reviews of the Samsung version, other than this potentially commercially biased one http://shop.londoncyclist.co.uk/product ... uct-search , the iPhone versions get very good reviews. But be aware though that there appear to be unofficial knock-off version of the iPhone mount that get terrible reviews – details here http://www.ibikeconsole.com/News.asp?Su ... ectedID=10 .

I’ve wondered about vibrations damaging the phone but if it was a huge problem them I suspect people would be complaining about mounts in general. Plus the phone has a two-year warranty and Samsung have so far have given me excellent customer service – my phone got screen burn and they replaced the screen. Also how much more will it vibrate compared to being in my pocket or rucksack anyway?
  • I’ve wondered about vibrations damaging the phone but if it was a huge problem them I suspect people would be complaining about mounts in general. Plus the phone has a two-year warranty and Samsung have so far have given me excellent customer service – my phone got screen burn and they replaced the screen. Also how much more will it vibrate compared to being in my pocket or rucksack anyway?
    Great. Look forward to your review. The vibrations in your pocket will be far less and will be damped by your legs and the fact that the phone is able to move in your pocket. As long at the mount can withstand the shocks and vibrations (the GS2 is quite a large and comparatively heavy device compared to other made for purpose GPS devices) I guess it should be OK.
  • I think where it is mounted will also effect the level of vibration. If mounted on the stem as close the the headset as possibly will presuambly be less effected to vibrations then if mounted by on the handlebars.
  • I've been using the Krusell Multi-dapt system for my Galaxy S.

It doesn't give the full protection that the other cases you've listed, but it worked as a suitable mount for me, plus the multi-dapt part means I can use the same case on different mounts/clips, i.e. in-car, belt, arm strap etc.
  • I think where it is mounted will also effect the level of vibration. If mounted on the stem as close the the headset as possibly will presuambly be less effected to vibrations then if mounted by on the handlebars.
    Agreed. Stem would be my preference for mounting position.
  • Ibb1982
    Ibb1982 Posts: 30
    I'm tempted to get this too, any update on its effectiveness?

Thanks! :)
    Whyte Stirling 2012 - mine since 6/4/12!
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    +1 some feed back would be great.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Vibrations will generally be okay. Phones these days undergo various vibration and drop tests during development to withstand a fair bit of abuse. There are no moving parts, no hard discs or anything to be a problem.

Only thing I could see is the back cover might come off, but it's fairly secure even if it seems like cheap plastic (it's actually fairly tough).

But you'll get tonnes more vibration mounted to the bars/stem than it sitting in a jacket pocket or better still tucked away in a camelbak or the like. Obviously you can use it for staring at whilst you ride instead of looking where you're going of course ;)

Don't really need to check the phone when riding as generally know where I'm going or roughly where I am. If I get truly lost I can dig it out the same as I would with a paper map. But then if I was somewhere I really don't know at all I'd probably take a copy of a paper map anyway than fiddle around with muddy fingers swiping away on the Sammy (whose battery won't last the ride anyway if always on the map) :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You call your phone Sammy. You need to get out more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    deadkenny wrote:
    But you'll get tonnes more vibration mounted to the bars/stem than it sitting in a jacket pocket or better still tucked away in a camelbak or the like. Obviously you can use it for staring at whilst you ride instead of looking where you're going of course ;)

Don't really need to check the phone when riding as generally know where I'm going or roughly where I am. If I get truly lost I can dig it out the same as I would with a paper map. But then if I was somewhere I really don't know at all I'd probably take a copy of a paper map anyway than fiddle around with muddy fingers swiping away on the Sammy (whose battery won't last the ride anyway if always on the map) :D

I tend to download new 30-40Km routes from gpsies to follow and here in the Algarve we don't have any decent maps like the OS maps you get in the UK. So I'm reliant on looking at the map on the phone to follow the route as I'm usually not familiar with the area. It's not practical to have the phone in the pocket and having to stop every 400-500m to check which path to take (which is what I currently do and it really messes up the flow) when confronted with a fork with multiple options. Having the phone mounted displaying the route would be useful.
    I'm now considering buying a cheap Android phone to use instead of the GS2.
  • Anonymous
    What we need are head up displays in the glasses :D
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Or stop being tarts and riding with phones.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi All,

It's been a while since I promised a review so here goes. I've been using it for a while now and I'm very happy with it. The mounting bracket works well and I love that you can rotate the phone 360 degrees, although the "teeth" on strap are plastic so I'd be worried about over tightening it and shearing them off. The case seems robust and the phone fits in very snugly and the case clips shut very securely. I don't worry at all about the bracket coming lose, the case unclipping from the bracket or the case opening of it's on accord. But if the case did fall off I'm fairly confident it would protect the phone assuming it falls on off-road rather than onto. The screen is clear and sits very close to the phone screen so using the phone is fine, only problem is with gloves but that nothing to do with the case. In fact to get round that I've sewn some conductive thread into my glove forefinger, it was that or cut a hole in it or lick my finger every time I wanted to use the phone. I've also used it in a thunderstorm and it got soaked and not a drop got in the case.

It's been very useful with Viewranger , Strava and just using the phone without have to get it out of my bag. Of all the ones I've looked at I'd say it's the best one. That Orange one above looks like gutsy junk and the anti-shock case one looks like the phone could fall out and is not waterproof.

A word of warning though there are very convincing but poor quality bootleg version floating about - see above or check this link - http://www.ibikeconsole.com/News.asp?Su ... ectedID=10.

I got my legit one from http://shop.londoncyclist.co.uk/product ... uct-search

Cheers
  • hunta
    hunta Posts: 35
    Thanks for the update. I just need them to produce one for the Galaxy Nexus now...
  • Anonymous
    Shame the Nexus apparently has GPS issues (at least more than the usual mobile GPS issues. See right at the bottom of this article here)
  • kaijo
    kaijo Posts: 1
    Bike mount is really good thing to have. Just don't fiddle with it in traffic. I almost crashed to a car when typing a messag (typing is difficult when bike is shaking).

I strongly advice agains carrying phone in pants pocket because or phobe will soon soak in sweat if you cycle even at moderate speed. Water or moisture damaged phones are the very common accidents