gary fisher 1997 piranha mountain bike

orac
orac Posts: 6
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi could anybody tell me where i could obatain a set of replacement chainrings for a garry fisher 1997 piranha mountain bike or will i have replace the whole cranckset...i have got this bike from a friend,which hee had in is garage for years.the bike is in really good condition for it`s age hardly a mark on it...the only thing is it needs a new set of chainrings....i know the bike is discontinued itself..but would really love bring it back up to spec again...or as near as i can....here all the info i`ve got on this bike.....breakset=shimano atlus brakes....shift levers=grip.shift.quickshift.......front derailleur+=shimano tourney ty-22 top swing..bottom pull/clamp.28.6mm Rear derailler+shimano tourney......Crancset...SR, 28/38/48 teeth......pedals=resin.....bottom bracket + yst 613......bb shell width + 73mm english.....rear cogs6-speed. 14 - 28 teeth.....chain = kmc ug-50, 1/2 x 3/32.........if anybody could help me on this matter,,it would be relly appreciated...it really would be a shame to scrap this bike because it`s in such good condition otherwise....thanking yo....SAM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just about any bike shop will be able to help out.

IF the rings are replaceable.

pics of crankset would help.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a 1998 Piranha and the chainset is one piece, you can't replace the rings on their own (don't be fooled by the rivets that look like Allen bolts, they aren't!). The cranks/rings on mine were good except I couldn't get the pedals out, I'll have another try though.....

However most square taper one piece sets are very similar.....this would suite for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BANKRUPT-BIKE ... 27bc087627

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • orac
    Cheers Simon,,,i kinda wondered i could replace the chain rings or not,,,as i`m no expert,,,haqvent been near a bike for years,and it`s all changed since my day,,,justwanted to get this bike up and running for summer...gonna try and fin d out if i can replace whole cranckset with something that i can changed the ringset if and when i need to,dont know if it`s possible though,,,everything else seems to fine on this bike...i will probably go for your suggestion if i cant do any other way.....cheers again mate....best wishes ..SAM
  • orac
    P.S. Simon i take it you want to change you crankset to...if i so let me know how you get on please,,,as i probably will have to go through the same proceedure... iv`e just ordered a crankpuller from ebay,just waiting on it to arrive....cheers again bud...SAM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Already changed mine, it's running a sealed bearing BB (Shimano UN54) and Deore Cranks (2002 vintage) with truvative rings with a trouser guard (so I can jump on it to go to the shops)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • orac
    Cheers bud, thanks for the info,,,thats all i want mine for to,,the odd day out e.t.c.....not long back from abroad second time around...recieved an injury to my leg and hand last time there,,,was advised to go swimming to build up the muscle on my leg...but getting fed up with swimming....starting to feel like a duck.hence thats where the bike comes in...thought i would give it a try to see if it would suitable for me or not..been a long time since i was on a bike.....anyway cheers again simon...and thank you for the info....best wishes.....SAM
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    I bought a 98 Piranha as a project recently, never had a project bike before.

I ended up replacing the complete crankset and bought a s/h one from off the web.

Thing is I needed 42 teeth and ended up buying 44 teeth so I had to remove the bb fit front mech and fit a band on.

Nice bike now, though I'm thinking of selling and getting another project.
    DSC_0036.JPG
    Cheers Nathan.
  • orac
    Hi nathan,,,that is a nice looking bike,,, i got mine from a friend was sitting in his garage for a number of years....is in really good condition concidering...only the teeth afre worn on the chainrings,,was gonna try to restore it with origanal set.but did not realise it was a fixed set...i.e you couldent change the rings...now looking to do much the same myselfe...i`m no expert so 1`m still finding my around,,i.e the bits and pieces and size i`ll need.phew it`s a bit of a minefield trying fiure out compatible parts,,,was gonna change whole bottom end and put a full new crank on but dont know if thats possible...compatability and all that...i like this model of bike because it`s solid..the frame is built like a tank,,,sure looks like you`ve made a good job of your bike...well done bud.....best wishes.....SAM