Dialled Bikes - MK2 alpine

unityjon
unityjon Posts: 27
edited February 2012 in Your mountain bikes
This is the first time i've built a MTB, done loads of BMX's in the glory years so here we go....

A little background, i started riding about 6months ago on an old Saracen Xile that had been knocking about since 2000(ish) i liked the geometry but it was bulky and rigid with apalling triple crown Zoom forks, as i started to get into riding MTB i was begning to out ride the Saracen and it was starting to let me down so here we go....

i had a pretty tight budget so I researched every component online to find good parts (from their reviews) at the right prices (web deals / end of season sales etc)

A call to Mike at Dialled bikes sorted the frame...

2012-01-04190106.jpg

FSA orbit headset holding a set of Rockshox Secktor RL (u-turn) to handle the odd jumps
2012-01-06150426.jpg

charge spoon to keep me seated sat on a Ocatane8 air sprung post (for those hard landings)
2012-01-21144911.jpg

Ragley stubbing stem and Odi ruffians on some D31-eight bars to keep control and the cockpit small, how i like it.
2012-01-17182028.jpg

Shimano Deore 10sp groupset inc brakes and hubs
2012-01-06083550.jpg
2012-01-06083523.jpg

some Mavic en520 as they're the better 'old' model still available if you search hard enough, i wrapped them with High Rollers 26x3.2 (could do with some new ones really !)

thats just about it, only rode it for the first time last sat and need to dial in my dialled bike.. pun intended but it feels a blast to ride, very responsive.
2012-01-20114247.jpg

2012-01-27124452.jpg

2012-01-27124445.jpg

My build may not have the most up to date/lightest/desirable components to be honest but by researching and buying the parts individually, the parts are good, recommended and by taking advantage of online offers etc. i saved about £800 on the build of this, one of the best things i've done ! and i'm looking forward to getting out on it and enjoying it.
Dialled alpine mk2, ragley, shimano deore groupset, v8's, Mavice en521, High Rollers - Lovin' it!

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    That look good, odd jump? get it airborne!!

so what did it cost you in total? (if you don't mind)
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2 wrote:
    That look good, odd jump? get it airborne!!

so what did it cost you in total? (if you don't mind)

a little over £1000 and yes i plan to get airbourne as soon as...
    Dialled alpine mk2, ragley, shimano deore groupset, v8's, Mavice en521, High Rollers - Lovin' it!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Bargain!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Looks ace! Frame is sweet!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    i do love how some steel frames look, especially the likes of the alpine and evil sovereign, sweet bikes 8)
  • Wow, it looks wicked all complete, I knew you would love it.

It looks far to bright and clean so must get out a do some proper riding in the dirt!!!

:D
  • Lovely bike mate. Out of interest how much did you get the frame for?
  • arian37
    arian37 Posts: 77
    Love the bike. I had a Prince Albert in orange - miss it.
  • Lovely bike mate. Out of interest how much did you get the frame for?

£295 direct from Dialled Bikes i tried to do the decent thing and go to a shop, apparently there are 2 stockists, one in Dorking and one in Edinburgh, so i called the Dorking place (shall remain nameless) and arraged to view a built up demo one they have there, drove the 2hrs to the shop only to find they'd lent it out even though i had told them when i would be there! then to top it off the guy wouldn't help me spec a bike up there and then, the shop was empty on a sat afternoon, was very frustrating !!!

I bought it direct from the website in the end, i'd advise seeing one in the flesh if you can, but then buy direct.
  • Wow, it looks wicked all complete, I knew you would love it.

It looks far to bright and clean so must get out a do some proper riding in the dirt!!!

:D

It doesn't look quite as clean as that anymore ! LOL
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Lovely bike, well thought out spec too.
  • rtorbs
    rtorbs Posts: 94
    Nice....was looking at these before i bought my Pig but couldnt find any reviews? whats it like?

and didnt want to be the one to say it but isnt your seat post clamp the wrong way ?
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Nice build, you should get a lot of fun out of it. Not sure about that seat post though.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I used to love the look of the Sovereign... Unfortunately I wasn't so keen on the new shape (sorry Craig). Think this is the best looking HT now :) Like it a lot.
  • CraigXXL
    I used to love the look of the Sovereign... Unfortunately I wasn't so keen on the new shape (sorry Craig). Think this is the best looking HT now :) Like it a lot.

Blasphemy! I do like the Dialled colours though especially the red and purple.
  • CraigXXL
    Some green Rockshox decals on the forks would bring it all together nicely.
  • Looks proper that... Big fan, good work!
  • CraigXXL wrote:
    Nice build, you should get a lot of fun out of it. Not sure about that seat post though.

the seatpost was picked up at the London Bike show cheap (can you tell ?) its an air shock but it aint that good to be honest, after a few hours on the bike i'm getting the whole thing dialled in a bit more, i need a layback or setback seat post, just 20mm really for comfort on the boring stretches between trails.

i'm debating with junking the large cog in favour of a bash guard, but unsure, it was always my intention but just recently i've been using all the gears, its a very capable bike !! I'm yet to jump it properly yet but gagging to try !!!
    green Rockshox decals on the forks would bring it all together nicely
    never seen any green ones but like your thinking, something to check out when i've bought all the important stuff !

I'm really happy with the whole build, its very solid very smooth (would be, its all new!) and very very responsive. I nearly went with a Ragley Pig but when i was up close to one the geometry just didnt suit me.
  • rtorbs wrote:
    Nice....was looking at these before i bought my Pig but couldnt find any reviews? whats it like?

and didnt want to be the one to say it but isnt your seat post clamp the wrong way ?

I put the clamp that way so the cut in the frame is opposite the cut in the clamp so i get even pressure right around the post, plus the clamp lever points backward, i just prefer it that way ?
  • CraigXXL
    You can get custom made decals usually better quality too. I can't remember who does them but if you post in buying or general someone will know.

If you want to ditch the big ring I have a new Saint bashguard and bolts if you want to buy them. I would suggest getting a bigger middle ring though say a 36t
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    http://www.slikgraphics.com/ would be able to sort you out with some custom decals.

Just placed an order with them myself (although I ordered standard decals, not custom)

Lovely bike btw :)