140mm fork for hardcore hardtail

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have just purchased a frame to build into a hardcore hardtail (saracen zen 4 2011 frame). I would like to make the wheelset I use on this hardtail interchangeable with my remedy so it will need a 20mm bolt through axle, Also I am thinking 140/150mm travel. I dont mind if this is single or dual position. I would like to keep things as light as possible and preferably as cheap as possible. Utulizing the tapered steerer compatibility of the frame it would be good to get a tapered steerer fork .......

so heres our Graham with our quick reminder......

tapered steerer
140/150mm travel
20mm axle (possibly 15mm)
32mm stantions
air sprung
white if possible

what do you reccomend?
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Revelation, no contest. Or a Sektor if that makes more financial sense but I'd buy a used high-end Rev over a new lower-end Sektor.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Northwind wrote:
    Revelation, no contest. Or a Sektor if that makes more financial sense but I'd buy a used high-end Rev over a new lower-end Sektor.

X2
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • I was thinking that a rev would probably be best but thanks for confirming it. right better try to find someone whos selling one 2nd hand now :wink:
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • widge34
    widge34 Posts: 900
    I have the Revelations. Fantastic fork.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Why stick with 32mm stantions if you're going "hardcore"?

I've just got some secondhand Magura Wotans for my DMR Exalt and they're superb - air sprung, adjustable between 120 and 160mm, have a 20mm axle, 36mm stantions, white.

The only thing they don't have from your list is a tapered steerer. But everything else on them is a stiff as a stiff thing!

Mine are the 2010 model and they cost me £250 - perhaps I overpaid, but they're great for the rocky descents in The Peaks, I can now just make up for my lack of skill by just ploughing through things!

I have Sektor RL U-turns (15mm axle) on my Trance and the Wotans are so much stiffer it's almost unbelievable.

I think they're discontinued now but if you can get a second-hand pair they're top.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Adds a ton of weight though... Not really a fan of Magura having seen all the trouble my mate's had with his Thors, did like how the Wotans work but they're about the same weight as a coil lyrik and not as stiff or as smooth.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    I guess you're right, they are almost 0.5Kg heavier than the air Revs.

But as I've lost 7lbs in weight since Xmas I think that'll make more of a difference than 1lb on the fork? :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wotans are 2.5kg, Revs 1.8kg with 20mm maxle - and with tapered steerer are pretty stiff!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Northwind wrote:
    Adds a ton of weight though... Not really a fan of Magura having seen all the trouble my mate's had with his Thors, did like how the Wotans work but they're about the same weight as a coil lyrik and not as stiff or as smooth.
    That said, my new lyriks are about the same weight as my old pikes :lol: The new revelations are just silly light!!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • what about fox float rc2 140 with kashima?? how do they compare to the revs? I realise they would have to be a 15mm axle.
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Very good, or so I hear. Very pricey also. I'd stick to the revs personally, but I'm a rockshox man.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Very good, or so I hear. Very pricey also. I'd stick to the revs personally, but I'm a rockshox man.

Same here.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2