Idiot question re: BB’s & cranks

BBH
BBH Posts: 476
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Ok guys, really need your help please!!

Have bought a new frame (a cervelo S2) and am not that mechanically minded (I am trying !!).

As an after thought (!!!!) I have found that my BB30 sram force chainset will not fit – So I am therefore after a new one and am a bit confused. I think the thread is English and have been told by my lbs that any standard euro cranks will fit.

I am considering a number of options:

a) buying the GXP version of the sram force (or red) cranks – I presume I need a bottom bracket too?? Which one would you go for (as I have heard that the standard SRAM GXP bb wears really quickly!!)

b) Consider a change (e.g. rotor Q rings and 3d cranks), despite cost, will a rotor bb fit the thread on the frame??

c) If I was going down the rotor route, what is the difference between 110bcd and 130bcd???

Many thanks from a confused bbh!!!!!
2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
Twitter: @MadRoadie

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Your Cervello should be English threaded ie one L/hand and one R/H thread, Italian is r/h both sides.
    For BCD follow the link
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    Many thanks - useful info re: the BCD, however with the q rings does it matter if u choose 110 or 130 BCD???

any good bb's compatible with SRAM red or force chainsets??
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    if you want to use an inner q ring smaller than a 39 you will need to use 110bcd cranks

but if you will not want to do this, use 130bcd, the spider/rings should be a smidge stiffer

look on rotor's website for available sizes of ring/type for the different bcd, there are many many options of q ring and cranks

imho you need to try and narrow down what you want - ring sizes and type, crank type, crank length, etc.

btw at least some of rotors cranks can be fitted to both bb30 and traditional threaded frames
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny