Flat SPD shoes & pedals suggestions

Matt_
Matt_ Posts: 82
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking about going to SPDs. I'd like to have the best of both worlds ideally and have something like the Crank Brothers Mallet pedals and 661 Filter shoes so I can ride them like flats if I want to.

I'm just wondering what are the other options for flat/SPD combo pedals and for skate type shoes that have the SPD inserts? Doesn't seem to be a lot of choice looking on CRC & Wiggle, the 661 Filters look like they are being discontinued and the Shimano equivalents look awful...

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks.
Current Bikes:
2010 Trek Fuel EX8
2009 Specialized Allez Sport
2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do you want to be clipped in or not?

any clipped shoe that is not actually clipped in feels like crap on any pedal. It is not the best of both worlds.

Nice flats and 5:10 if you like taking your foot off the pedals.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Matt_
    Matt_ Posts: 82
    I want to be clipped in when I'm riding up hill or on easy stuff and unclipped when I'm going down hill. I've got fivetens at the moment on flats and they are good but I'd like the extra power going up hill hence looking at SPDs. I don't want to be clipped in all the time.
    Current Bikes:
    2010 Trek Fuel EX8
    2009 Specialized Allez Sport
    2006 Scott Reflex 20

Lakes Mountain Bike Routes
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    You just can't do that.

If you have clipless pedals and cleats on your shoes, and you put your feet on the pedals, eventually you're going to clip in.

Either ride clipped in or don't.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Matt_ wrote:
    I want to be clipped in when I'm riding up hill or on easy stuff and unclipped when I'm going down hill. I've got fivetens at the moment on flats and they are good but I'd like the extra power going up hill hence looking at SPDs. I don't want to be clipped in all the time.
    that aint happening. change your pedaling style.

It is also debatable is being cliped in actually gives you more usable power or not.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Davsy
    Davsy Posts: 17
    I don't think 661 Filter's would be quite what you're looking for if you're wanting to use them for both flats and spds...
    I bought them with the idea of using them with flats with a view to trying out spds to see if I could take to them. They can be used straight out the box for flats, but require you to cut out a section of the rubber sole to allow you to use spds, making them like any other skate spd shoe. So I think it's either one way or the other with them, not really both.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    use to run caged spd till i saw the light,, :P :wink:

i thought when the trail got teccy or steep i could unclip and ride them like a flat.. it does'nt work..

like Bailis said you end up clipping in or worse your feet slide off the pedals not good if your on teccy terrain...

i opted to run flats and 5/10s to build my confidence that was over 3 years ago,, i am happy with my flats and will be sticking to them,, my spd's are confined to the shed with the 2 pairs of shoes...

i still use spds on my road bike, and would not use anything else.. for mtb i will stick with flats for now...