Planet X - Carbon Pro or Team Alu frame

The Psycholist
The Psycholist Posts: 22
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Looking to build up a cheap, light bike to go with some Aksiums and a Shimano 105 groupset.

The aim is to do this very cheaply and end up with something that I can use for training/fitness but still be decent to have a good go on club runs and maybe a race or two further down the line.

As i'm looking to do this on the cheap i'm looking at either planet x's carbon pro or team alu frames. There's lots of info on the carbon but not so much on the alu. I'm more of a high cadence spinner rather than a power guy so don't think i'd find the flex problems with the carbon too much of a problem. But then I like the look of the alu.

Generally do 30-50 mile runs. Any advice would be great thanks.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    For a do all bike I'd recommend the Team Alu. I just got hold of one and built it up as a winter bike. It'll take Crud Mk2 guards (with a bit of modification to the rear chain/front mech protector bit) with 23mm rear and 25mm front tyres and actually looks pretty good. I think the SL Pro will probably take Cruds as well, but it's a much more compact frame so not everyone's cup of tea (and definitely not for me).

I doubt frame flex will be an issue for you (or 99% of riders) with either frame.
    More problems but still living....
  • Thanks for that. Oddly the prices have all gone up for the carbon frames and then they've all gone out of stock. Strange...
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    For the record, Crud Mk2 do fit to the SL Pro with 23c tyres. (I've no experience with the alu frame though.)
  • gmb
    gmb Posts: 456
    I can definitely recommend the SL Pro. I'm also a high cadence spinner and have never had any problems with flex. And as amaferanga has said the compact frame is not for everyone - I've had comments that it looks like a BMX!
    Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
    http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    amaferanga wrote:
    For a do all bike I'd recommend the Team Alu. I just got hold of one and built it up as a winter bike. It'll take Crud Mk2 guards (with a bit of modification to the rear chain/front mech protector bit) with 23mm rear and 25mm front tyres and actually looks pretty good. I think the SL Pro will probably take Cruds as well, but it's a much more compact frame so not everyone's cup of tea (and definitely not for me).

I doubt frame flex will be an issue for you (or 99% of riders) with either frame.
    Any chance of any pics amaferanga? Thinking of getting one as a winter steed also, like to see your crud solution! cheers
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    giant man wrote:
    Any chance of any pics amaferanga? Thinking of getting one as a winter steed also, like to see your crud solution! cheers

The Crud bodge involved chopping a bit off the bottom of the front extension and cutting a hole out around the front mech band. I'll try to get a pic up some time soon.
    More problems but still living....
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    I know you're asking about the alu frame but here's what the SL looks like with guards on.

007-1.jpg

I'm happy enough with the compact geometry, although one other possible thing to consider is the limited clearance for bottles. I only ever use one but there definitely isn't enough room for a large [750/800 ml] bottle on the seat tube.
  • Cheers all - Gone for the Team Alu. Should be here soon. I'll get pics up when it's built. Gone for Raceblade Longs too.