Time for Change

fridgehq
fridgehq Posts: 54
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a question as I will soon be changing my 1998 K2 Proflex for a new XC full suspension bike test rides will be in order but my question is has anybody else had a proflex and if so what new bike did they find best suited them? also is the 29er just a fad or should I also consider this as an option? my budget will be about 2500

any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Never had a Proflex but any 2012 bike you try will be a big difference.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Shortlist the Giant Anthem and Scott Spark. Both light, short(ish) travel full suss XC bikes that are highly regarded.
  • Thanks for that The giant is that the 29er or 26?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Available in both I think.
  • fridgehq wrote:
    Thanks for that The giant is that the 29er or 26?
    Both are available, although I am told that there is a fifteen week waiting list for the 29ers. I was as sceptical as most initially but everyone I have spoken to who has ridden a 29er says they will never go back to 26". I have somewhere not too far away which has an Anthem 29er for hire, so I wil try it first. Given the spend involved and huge choice out there, try before you buy is essential.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Coming from a proflex you'll be disappointed with new full Suss bikes, they are both comparable in weight to their hardtail cousins, and also good at dampening the effects of bumps and trail obstacles when riding. Two design qualities that the proflex designers were clearly against.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Sorry I am a bit confused with the above do you mean that proflex are worse than a new full suspension or better?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    fridgehq wrote:
    Sorry I am a bit confused with the above do you mean that proflex are worse than a new full suspension or better?

Think Ben is saying, you will be suprised how good new bikes are......
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    29er or not is very perosnal, it has a number of upsides and a few down (including cost, wheels and tyres are a lot dearer!).....

In the group I ride with we have both, and some have one of each, if you prefer it, you prefer it, if you don't you don't! At the more 'casual' level it seems to suite taller larger riders more than the smaller guys....or maybe those are just the ones that buy them!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Guys the input is much appreaciated