Should I swap? Addict for Tarmac

bonkstrong
bonkstrong Posts: 120
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
I am the owner of a lovely 2011 Scott Addict R2, the problem is that it's a 54cm Medium frame and I'm 5'11 (and a bit). The reach is fine as I've got a 130mm stem on it but I just cannon cope the the saddle to bars drop, I'm simply not flexible enough and probably never will be.

I have the option to swap the pain causing Addict for a more relaxed and better fitting Large 56cm 2011 Tarmac SL2 frame. I've tried flipping the stem but it just messes the handling up and I don't fancy hitting 50mph on something that feels twitchy.

I've just started Crit racing so whatever bike I ride needs to be up to the job. Ideally I'd like a Caad 10 but need to save all my pennies for the little person thats due to pop out in June.

Is the Addict a fair swap for the Tarmac or am I selling myself short? Or if anybody has anything else to offer feel free to hijack the advice with offers ;)

Comments

• You can spare 10 mins a day to stretch out you could be come more supple in no time at all.
    It`s just like anything else if you put the work in you will see results.
    As for the bike swap that`s your call as you`ll have to live with it.
  • You can spare 10 mins a day to stretch out you could be come more supple in no time at all.

I've seen a great improvement from doing this for the past 5 months, but nowhere near enough to be comfortable. Besides, my belly is in the way when I'm leant over and causes crush issues in sensitive areas :(
  • BONKSTRONG wrote:
    You can spare 10 mins a day to stretch out you could be come more supple in no time at all.

I've seen a great improvement from doing this for the past 5 months, but nowhere near enough to be comfortable. Besides, my belly is in the way when I'm leant over and causes crush issues in sensitive areas :(
    :lol: You daft sod well try changing your diet.follow the GI diet and eat less than 2k calories for a month and reap the rewards.You`ll soon be a slick racer. :D
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    For crit racing the bike you ride, within reason doesn't matter too much what the bike is. You get sucked along at 25mph while putting out tiny amounts of power, then you sprint for a break or the finish, and no bike assuming its of a semi decent level is going to help or hinder you really.

Go for something you won't mind smashing, only thing I would spend money on for a bike being used at a crit race would be tyres, I've found my latest £150 Raleigh to be perfectly race-able, and is no different from the Carbon Ribble I had. And neither bike has stopped me losing or beating people on vastly superior bikes. If you are watching the pennies, then bear that in mind I reckon. The only reason I want something better now is for road races, with hills and such.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Yes, swap if it's a better fit for you.