Garmin Heart rate monitor

bulluke23
bulluke23 Posts: 48
edited February 2012 in Training, fitness and health
Have been cycling a couple of years and feel that i am in pretty good shape. I tend to cycle between 40-100 miles a week depending on work.

I recently purchased a Garmin Edge with Heart rate strap and from uploading my data my average heart rate seems far to high.

How accurate are these devices?

At this rate i think i may need to see a cardiologist at the age of 32!!
Summer: Condor Classico
Winter: Genesis Ather

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Mine is very reliable. What readings are you getting? Do you have a trace of your HR to view?
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    How high is too high?
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Mostly accurate, but there are some things that cause them to over read, static from tops etc can do it.

What makes you think its too high?, its possible you just have a naturally high heart rate, remember heart rate is an individual thing.
  • How are you calculating what you think is your max HR? The aged based calculation of 210 - your age, isn't very good at all. As Danowat says it's an individual thing, determined by genetics and wont change regardless of your fitness level. I'm 34 and my max HR is 199.

To determine your max HR yourself is pretty easy (though the usuals apply don't try it if you're not fit, and see a doctor beforehand) if you have a turbo trainer. After a 10-15min warm up, gradually increase the resistance and aim to increase your HR by 5 beats every 15 seconds. You'll find that at some point no matter how much harder you keep pushing your HR won't increase. This if your max HR.
  • Thanks for all the advice.

My average tends to be around 170-180 depending on the intensity of the ride but regularly spikes up too 200bpm as a max which is similar to the_scattman.

What are your average HR's on rides?
    Summer: Condor Classico
    Winter: Genesis Ather
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Other peoples avg HR's is completely irrelevent to you.

If you are intending on riding using HR as training zones, then you need to know YOUR actual max heart rate, without that, any readings aren't worthwhile.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    bulluke23 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice.

My average tends to be around 170-180 depending on the intensity of the ride but regularly spikes up too 200bpm as a max which is similar to the_scattman.

What are your average HR's on rides?

My HRs (41 year old man, 4th CAT, proper training for approx 2 years):

Resting: Approx 50 BPM
    Racing: Average ~174 BPM, peak ~180
    Hard Turbo Session: Average ~164 BPM, peak ~170
    Training Ride: Average ~154 BPM, peak ~170

Your HR figures do not look particularly high. A good check would be to see what your resting HR is (measured and compared to the Garmin)
  • Currently I rest at 51 and peak at 195.
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    Mostly accurate, but there are some things that cause them to over read, static from tops etc can do it.

I've seen this with mine. Rubbing a bounce sheet or equivalent over your jersey before a ride will stop this.

Also if its a dry cold day you might not get enough sweat under the contact pads to make a good contact. Using the gel used for Tens machines will sort that.
  • Should the HR get higher with more training?

When I first started riding I would really suffer if I got to 170bpm and would max at 174bpm

With more training I can stick at 170bpm for a few minutes at a time without too much pain and now start to suffer at 180-182 bpm with a max of 185bpm

Is this a good sign? Does it mean I am getting fitter?