Advice on Talon 0

barneyisourhero
barneyisourhero Posts: 10
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello, i'd like some advice please. I currently have a claud butler cape wrath d27 (2007), which I have had since new. Recently I have been using it on new trails which have been built near me. The frame on my bike is 20 inch and as im 5ft 10 I find it a little big and could do with something smaller to have a bit more control over.
Ive been toying with the idea of a new bike, 18 inch frame, and today I ahve a seen a Talon 0, 2010, second hand for around £450. Its 18 inch and I am in 2 minds what to do. I have read the forks on these are a bit basic, but hopefuly better than my suntour XCRs on my CB. Is the Talon much of an upgrade? Also what would peope suggest I could get for my bike if i sold it 2nd hand. Its been well used, but was recently serviced and I was told the bike is in sound mechanical condition.

Just to add, I have seen that you can buy a brand new talon 0 for £500 online, but this is only in small size.

Thanks
Pete

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    If you have a look at halfords site they have the boardman comp on sale at the mo for £600 reduced from £750 , great bike and great spec.

i wouldnt spend that much on a 2nd hand bike when you dont know how its been used etc and to be honest thats well over priced anyway .
    As for yours have a nose at ebay but dont expect a great deal it wasnt an expensive bike to start with.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It might be easier to list spec post a link - not everyone memorises the spec of all bikes.
    Valuations or attempts thereat are against the rule - see rule 15.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    It might be easier to list spec post a link - not everyone memorises the spec of all bikes.
    Valuations or attempts thereat are against the rule - see rule 15.

Ahh, sorry about that, I hadnt read the 'read me before posting' thread!
  • tarbot18 wrote:
    If you have a look at halfords site they have the boardman comp on sale at the mo for £600 reduced from £750 , great bike and great spec.

i wouldnt spend that much on a 2nd hand bike when you dont know how its been used etc and to be honest thats well over priced anyway .
    As for yours have a nose at ebay but dont expect a great deal it wasnt an expensive bike to start with.

Cheers for the reply. £600 is over my budget im afraid. I'd be looking 2nd hand.
    Obviously i;d go and look at the bike before buyinga nd check out the condition and wear. If you think its over priced anyway then thank you for your help. I may say if the seller is willing to negotiate the price, but depending on its condition.

(Talon spec

Model Talon 0
    Sizes M (18")
    Colours White / Black
    Frame Giant AluxX aluminium, Fluid FormedTM
    Fork RockShox TORA 302 Air 100mm Turnkey lockout (80-130mm)
    Shock N / A
    Handlebar Giant Sport aluminium riser
    Stem Giant Sport aluminium ahead
    Headset F50
    Seatpost Giant Sport aluminium
    Saddle WTB Speed V Comp
    Pedals Giant platform
    Shifters Shimano SLX 27 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano XT Shadow
    Brakes Giant Root hydraulic discs, 160mm rotors
    Brake Levers Giant Root
    Cassette Shimano HG50 11-34
    Chain Shimano HG73
    Crankset Shimano M521 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket Shimano Octalink
    Rims Alex DP17
    Hubs Shimano M475
    Spokes Black stainless steel
    Tyres Kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1")
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try a shorter stem and or higher rise bars on what you have?
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    If you buy that Boardman online from Halfords, it has an extra £60 off at the moment, making it £539
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Talon is really very good. I bought one for my wife recently & I was surprised how good it is.
    Excellent frame, rides really nicely & well worth future upgrades.
  • Cogsy1976
    Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
    I had a Talon 2.5 and talon 3 and the frame is the same across the range, I loved both of mine the higher no. Talons do have poo forks but yours seem ok for that money