Any suggestions for suspension forks (v brakes)

savvasstavridis
savvasstavridis Posts: 44
edited February 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm in search of an air suspension fork. My options are quite restricted cause I want it to be v brake compatible. I'd like to hear your advice over these models.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42267
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=71178
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=40913
I know it is a wide range of price but I don't know yet how much I am going to spend and chose air models because I think it will be easier to configure as I am not a light rider (90+ kilos). These forks are intended for xc use mainly.
If you have any other suggestions I'm glad to check them out.
And a question about the Marzocchi. Bosses are not included and the ones I already have from my old fork does not seem to fit as they have a bolt mount. Searched is several online stores but no luck. Any ideas about this?
Thanks!

Comments

• Thank you for the reply, but those you suggest except the RockShox Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm are not compatible to v brakes. Im I missing something?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Recon Silver is not worth the money in the first post, but the Recon Race is a good buy - alu stanchions and steerer save weight, and Motion Control damping adds control.
  • There are far better offers for silver. At Bike24 it is 229 euros. Thanks anyway for your advice.
    Anyone knows anything about the bosses for Marzocchi?
  • supersonic
    What was the old fork that you tried the bosses from?

I think I have some spare zocchi bosses somewhere!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are three different Marz bolt fittings that I am aware of.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My old fork is sync exceed 289 (that's what the sticker says, I do not know the brand). My bike is a GT Tempest (about 10 years old). I did not try the bosses to any Marzocchi I just wondered if they fitted. Thanks for the interest to search for your bosses but I live in Greece, so if it is impossible to find anywhere else (and if I decide to buy Marzocchi) we could discuss it!
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Thank you for the reply, but those you suggest except the RockShox Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm are not compatible to v brakes. Im I missing something?
    Sorry, i missed that clue... But see it this way: If you invest in front disc brake only for about 50-60eur, with Rockshox Reba RL or Recon RL from my post, that will be a better buy than Rockshox Race 2010 with v-brakes for 300 eur.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCAVEXIL5/a ... disc_brake

Think about it. Cheers
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    386ka wrote:
    Thank you for the reply, but those you suggest except the RockShox Recon Silver TK Coil 100mm are not compatible to v brakes. Im I missing something?
    Sorry, i missed that clue... But see it this way: If you invest in front disc brake only for about 50-60eur, with Rockshox Reba RL or Recon RL from my post, that will be a better buy than Rockshox Race 2010 with v-brakes for 300 eur.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/BCAVEXIL5/a ... disc_brake

Think about it. Cheers

Plus the cost of a new wheel (or hub and rebuild).
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • supersonic
    Also take a look at this:

http://www.grippedcycles.co.uk/index.ph ... uct_id=620

Though double check as the pic shows disc only.
  • I already have upgrades it with xt vbrakes and xt levers. It was my decision to stay to v brakes, I had the oportunity to go to disks, so I will not definitely do it now. Having tested some bikes with diskbrakes (Formula rx, avid elixir 3) I think v brakes suit me perfect. But if I could see that coming more clearly (so few fork models compatible to v brakes) maybe I would select disks. Whatever!
    Do you think that If i chose a coil model it would be much worse than than tha cheap air models that I'm looking?
    Actually there are some light enough and very cheap options out there...
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k1024/ ... black.html

Thank you all btw, you've been of much help!
  • supersonic
    If you choose coil it will almost undoubtedly be too light.
  • Yes I know, it will be about 2200gr. But that is not a great downside for me. I do not know if it will do for my weight as I am a bit over 90 kilos. I thought that an air fork will be easier to set up as I can pump it to the appropriate pressure for me.
    Really, which type is more easily serviced and maintained?
  • 386ka
    There are less things that can go wrong with coil forks. But see if the suntour epicon has v-brake bosses.
  • I picked some 2011 RS Recon Gold Solo Air TK from Merlins back in october with v mounts on. Struggling like hell to get some 8mm hope cable guides to replace the mounts as I don't use them.
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • 386ka
    Ps, I am interested why you dropped the idea of upgrading to disk brakes and went for v-brakes? Cheers :)
  • supersonic
    Yes I know, it will be about 2200gr. But that is not a great downside for me. I do not know if it will do for my weight as I am a bit over 90 kilos. I thought that an air fork will be easier to set up as I can pump it to the appropriate pressure for me.
    Really, which type is more easily serviced and maintained?

I meant the weight the weight of the spring! Or rate. Which is whu I reccomend air.
  • 386ka wrote:
    Ps, I am interested why you dropped the idea of upgrading to disk brakes and went for v-brakes? Cheers :)

I use the bike mostly for trasportation and occasionally for light off road rides. I do not go to hardcore mtb - freeride - dh. So I preffered to buy a cheaper lighter set of brakes which not only does the job for me but also I know that I can keep them easily calibrated. The xt set that I chose is powerful enough and its power comes progressively pressing the lever helping me to have absolute control of the braking power. I know that in wet (and especially muddy) conditions disks would be way better choice, but the weather in Greece is dry most of the times. I plan, though, in the next few years to assemble a full suspension if I turn to some real mtb use and surely I will go for disks there.
    Most of the people that I discuss this are against me but it is a fact that the xt set is a great evolution to the moderate v brake sets that we all have tried. Find them somewhere to try them out and you will see the difference!
  • 386ka
    Ok, I see now why you went for v-brakes - they are enough for you. I know what a good set of v-brakes can do, although I have not ridden the XT's, but they are cheaper and in many cases even more powerful than some disk brakes, with better modulation. Still I ride Formula RX, and for my riding style need the advantage of powerful one-finger braking, and consistency on water ect.

On other note, supersonic is right, most coil forks will have a softer spring, unless stated otherwise, and you could have unexpected costs for another spring. With air you can't go wrong.

Let us know you buy :)

Cheers
  • Sure, one finger braking is quite impossible to do with v braking system. When I tried formula rx I was impressed by their strength and I'm sure they do a great job at diffucult mtb situations. Well, thank you all for your interest, I'm persuaded that I should go for air fork. And after this small off topic about brakes, I think that this offer suits me nest at the moment
    http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;n ... ;orderby=2
    230 euros including pump and seals seem quite good to me. Anyway, I'll look around for any offers in the meanwhile at the local stores around here. There may be any clearance to older forks!
    Sure I will let you know 386ka! :D
  • Well, yesterday I went to the local bike stores but they all told me that the combination air fork - v brakes is difficult to find. They had some suggestions to make such as rock shox reckon silver coil and rock shox xc 32 coil but the prices were quite high (220 and 195 euros respectively) which leads me to the conclusion that I'll go for reckon silver air (229 euro bike 24 including pump and seals).
    Thank you all for your help guys! :D
  • 386ka
    Nice choice, happy trails then! :D