new company car....which one

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited February 2012 in The Crudcatcher
i'm being offered a new company car but i don't know what to do, do i go for something like a vito with 5/6 seats? or do i go for an estate car (it has to be an estate)

the gf has a decent car so we'll still have 1 car between us and the van/people carrier would be perfect for the bikes, but teh lure of a brand new shiny car is calling me :D

it'll probably be something like a skoda octavia vrs estate (that's what a lot of the guys already have)

any opinions? :?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    RS6? :-)
  • welshkev
    njee20 wrote:
    RS6? :-)

that'd be nice, but above my pay grade :lol:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The Octavia estate is a great car (I have one). If you can get the VRS even better.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    whats the options anything upto value of octavia vrs?
  • welshkev
    mak3m wrote:
    whats the options anything upto value of octavia vrs?

i think so, i haven't had the list through yet. but here's what some of the other guys have got:

volvo v60
    ovtavia vrs
    leon fsr (not an estate i know)
    nissan quashqai + 2
    Mazda 6 estate
    vw transporter crewcab (5 seater)

and i know the vivaro 6 seater is on the list
  • bg13
    bg13 Posts: 4,598
    vw transporter............sorted!
    Loving life in rural SW France

Orange 5 Pro
    Ribble Audax
    On One Scandal 29er
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Transporter from that list. Fuel card as well? Only failing compared to a car that I could see.
  • Just got my new company car a couple of weeks ago and was thinking along the same lines when making my decision. Small children + bikes = I need lots of boot space. Solution VW Touran. 7 seats so a proper family wagon but 5 can be removed to make what may as well be a van.........Sorted. 2ltr Bluemotion version so it is saving me on tax too campared to the Honda Accord.

Enjoy your search.

Giant TCR Advanced 3 '12
    Giant Trance X2 '09
    GT Avalanche Expert '07
    Claud Butler Milano '07
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Honda Accord Estate 2.2 Diesel
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Andy wrote:

He's getting a company car, not retiring
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar wrote:
    Andy wrote:

He's getting a company car, not retiring

:):):):)
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Transporter or if you want a car then an A4 All Road as a small estate that'll carry bikes easily enough.

I went for a Golf Estate Bluemotion and I'm happy with that. Carried me plus wife plus two kids (one is disabled so a load of extra stuff for him) and two bikes plus bike trailer to centre parks last year. Ok it was a bit of a squeeze but how much space do you really need. The golf is cheap as chips to run and the tax is only £20 for 12 months.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    I would go for the volvo v60

its creeping up on me, as i hurtle towards 40 things like this now attract me rather than repulse, wtf is next tweed jackets and elbow patches!!!!!!!!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    bg13 wrote:
    vw transporter............sorted!
    the choice of champions and me
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    My Mazda 6 lease is about to expire. It's been a cracking car and I would have got another one but the estate is not on the list anymore.

Put my order in last Friday for a Qashqai N-Tec+. Nice driving position, decent economy and lots of toys.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • mar_k
    mar_k Posts: 323
    surely you need to be looking at how each car affects the tax you pay on your earnings,
    you may find some will cost you hugely more than others on the list
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Easy

Fuel card - anyf00kingvanyouwant, preferably Transporter
    No fuel card - anyf00kingblumotiongreenlineeconetic60+mpg estate you can get apart from the new focus because it's gash.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • welshkev
    fuelcard - YES :D

yeah, i have been thinking about the tax thing. that's why i'm leaning more towards a crew cab van as i believe they're a lot cheaper on tax (as in tax on earnings not road tax)
  • Normal choice would be a C Class or 3 Series.
  • jamLCFC
    jamLCFC Posts: 197
    not sure what your scheme is but keep an eye on your emissions etc or your going to get proper stung on tax as the bands change quite drastically over the next couple of years.

http://www.comcar.co.uk/newcar/companyc ... select.cfm have a look here to compare your annual tax on different specs and models.

If your after a van the emmisions wont matter but high value high emmsions cars ...kerching for the treasurey !!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Compulsive tinkerer....my ideas far far outway my ability and that makes things costly !!
  • I'd go for the V60 too, mainly because I've been eyeing one up for the last 6 months or so, but I really can't afford it sadly. I had a phonecall from Volvo today, asking when I'd be interested in purchasing a car. He sounded a little deflated when I said 'not for a couple of years' :lol:
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    Transporter will hammer you for tax - including the private fuel element. Go for low Co2 unless the cost isn't an issue.

Just took delivery of a VW Passat 1.6Tdi Se Estate, which i ordered without even sitting in one as the lease company had an unmissable offer on - previosuly had a V50 2.0D - and can't fault it. Plenty of room for bikes, boots big enough for two dogs if we go away for the weekend, and Co2 just 116. It's also cheaper to repay private mileage at 12ppm for a 1.6 diesel, than pay the tax on the fuel element.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    All I'm going to say is bridge costs!

If you get a van/people bus then on top of your emissions you're going to have pay a shed load any time you use the toll roads and the Severn crossing

Estate, volvo is sensible and better than the octavia IMO, but what the dark should I know, I still drive a focus from 2002 and that isn't going to change in the near future!

What about a Mondeo estate, they are mahoosive inside, plenty of space for a bike, shovel, helmet, pads, deadbody, tools etc.......
  • welshkev
    Kaise wrote:
    All I'm going to say is bridge costs!

If you get a van/people bus then on top of your emissions you're going to have pay a shed load any time you use the toll roads and the Severn crossing

Estate, volvo is sensible and better than the octavia IMO, but what the dark should I know, I still drive a focus from 2002 and that isn't going to change in the near future!

What about a Mondeo estate, they are mahoosive inside, plenty of space for a bike, shovel, helmet, pads, deadbody, tools etc.......

company pay the bridge costs 8) and a 5 seat van is classed a s a car anyway :D

oh yeah, and cos it's a mondeo :wink::lol:
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    take the cash and lease instead

you will save on tax
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    boots big enough for two dogs

Which is important for a night out in Walsall ;)
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Just be carefully adn fully check up on the taxable nature of the benefit mate,

The tax rates are based on emmisions so the transporter while not being twice the cost, could cost you twice as much in tax :) also if your fuel is paid for by the company thats a taxable benefit also based around co2 emmisions mate :)
  • welshkev
    cheers for the advice guys,

it's a grey area as to whether they pay my personal mileage. i'll have afuel card but as far as i know they'll only be paying for my business fuel, but how are they gonna know how much business mileage i do? :?

even so i could come up with some creative accoutantcy :lol: i didn't realise about teh emissions thing though, cheers for that :D
  • welshkev
    so, i've had the list through.

a nissan qashquai + 2 or a VW touran?

they're pretty equal on fuel consumption and co2 :?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Touran, otherwise you'll look like you have the "Mrs'Kevs" car on the school run.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty