2012 zesty 314 vs pro 5

Haggis_Racer
Haggis_Racer Posts: 14
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all.... after a bit of advice, i am in the market for either of the above or something similar... I live just north of Inverness can head out my front door onto some great trails. I am returning to mountain biking due to breaking my leg playing football. So have decided to go FS after previously having a hardtail. I have seen a few threads like this but they have been older an the bikes have moved on since then i am sure, any help/advice would be fantastic!

Comments

• Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The only way to find out which suits you best is to get a test ride, I've not ridden a Zesty so can't make a direct comparison of the two.

At the end of the day it's going to come down to what feels best to you, everyone has different expectations and ideas of how a bike should feel.

Alpine Bikes have a number of Orange models available for demo

http://www.alpinebikes.com/

The problem will be getting hold of a demo Zesty unless you know someone who already has one.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    I ride a Zesty 514 and love it awesome bikes but as last poster says you need to try out a number of different ranges as with your budget ya spoiled for choice but also look at Giant Trance X1 which ive also got and love it, Trek EX8, Canyons all really good bikes and lots more aswell out there just get the one that fits you correctly as an uncomfotable bike is a miserable ride.
    Take your time though in choosing as it's a big investment, I should really practise what I preach as I have to be the most impulsive person ever when it comes to buying bikes
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Yeah i have been looking at where i can try them on the same day etc so i can get a proper comparison. Might have to head south to a trail centre to get that though. I was looking at the 514 but this year as its all carbon its maybe not specc'd quite as high??? i was thinking of the ex8 too. Was originally going to go straight for the Orange but thought i better check a few out.. i keep hearing how there great but sound like a bag of bolts. If i am honest i just think the Zesty looking amazing, even if it is magpie appeal :D
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Yeh I think the spec has gone down on the new carbon version, personally I'd rather the aluminium frame and better spec.
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • I had a quick squint an a wee blast on a ex8 today..... seriously awesome! although i am starting to realise that the step up in spec an equipment might make every bike feel great... only thing is it was a 15.5 which felt a little small and i am thinking the jump to 17 might be alot?