Please Remember This...

daviesee
daviesee Posts: 6,386
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
Please remember this....

I know you won't because I didn't but if it is repeated enough one person may do it right.

When involved in an accident do not think you are okay because you feel okay - You are pumped up with adrenalin and endorphins.
Also do not be tough - "Didn't hurt". Maybe it didn't but it will.
Check your bike and gear out thoroughly. Lighting may be difficult but do it right.
Take photos. Including the driver and his car with number plate.
Get drivers details.
Get witnesses details.

The driver that got me seems fairly decent. All shook up, apologetic, guilty and drove me home even though things weren't bad. He gave me his details and we have been in touch about damage and compensation.
I still wish I had done the above just in case though.

What happened?
A car did a u-turn in front of me which wasn't too difficult to avoid.
Then he did another :shock:

Damage - mark on my arm where I broke his mirror, slightly buckled rear wheel and a broken lever. Pain in the wrists - sprain or shock of some sort. Hopefully it will reduce overnight. Could have been a whole lot worse.

As I said at the start - remember. In all likelihood you won't.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,364
    Strewth, missed you the first time so he had another go!
    You make a good point. Glad it looks like he's being reasonable and you're not too badly hurt.
    I once got knocked off a motorcycle and the bloke gave me a lift to work. On the way I remembered something about trying to get the other person to put their version in writing while it was fresh in their mind. He wrote it all up as it happened and asked me if it was alright. I told him he'd missed the bit about it being his fault and he had admitted liability. He wrote in his own hand "I admit all liability for this accident" and signed it. It still took me over a year to get his insurance to pay out.
  • daviesee
    It sounds funny and I probably would like to see a Youtube version of events but he didn't do it intentionally.
    It is another SMIDNSY.
    Even with street lights, flashing lights, hi-viz and a multitude of reflectives.
    Just shows- you can't have too many lumens. New lights for me.

I have only been using a hi-viz for a couple of weeks and this simply reinforces my original stance that they are worthless.

Still. Remember what you should do in case of the worst.
  • daviesee wrote:

You were knocked off your bike not because you hadn't made enough effort to be safe, but because some idiot was driving without due care.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Not so good daviesee, glad you are able to tell the tale.

You are right, most people just want to get on with it, and dont get full details. Your mind is on plenty other things.

Plenty of lights, reflective stuff and hi viz helps. But it is not a cloak of protection, there are too many idiot drivers that just do not look, wearing a TRON suit would not help. But IMHO hi viz does assist other road users in seeing you.

Where did it happen?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • daviesee
    Where did it happen?
    Hilton Drive, approaching Anderson Drive, Aberdeen.
    He dropped someone off, facing Aberdeen and wanted to get back to Anderson Drive. Did a u-turn.
    He realised that it is a bus lane only right turn at the junction so did another u-turn. Bang.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    +1 on the adrenalin and endorphins.

When I came off my bike coming up Lower Rd approaching Rotherhithe Roundabout I thought the worst I'd done was wind myself. Cycled the rest of the way into The City, had shower, and it was only when I couldn't bend down to tie my shoelaces I knew something was wrong.

Trip to A&E in Exeter and a diagnosed fractured arterial head and ribs pay testament to the soporific effects of adrenalin and endorphins.
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    daviesee wrote:

You were knocked off your bike not because you hadn't made enough effort to be safe, but because some idiot was driving without due care.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

+1. Get well soon mate.
  • daviesee
    Well, after 2 1/2 days, the bruising finally came out.
    My arms must have taken the brunt and acted as shock absorbers.
    If it wasn't for the blue I could claim a nice tan :wink:
    But IMHO hi viz does assist other road users in seeing you

Hi-viz or relectives would not have helped as there is no light to be reflected when using mirrors, or looking out side windows. What the hey, it's as good as an excuse to get new lights as any :P
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Glad you're ok davisee.

Hope the driver (and his insurance) continue to be decent about it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Hope you're OK, and the bruising/pain dies down.

Probably best get your wrist checked out.

+1 on the endorphins, I rode to work with a broken arm the other week. No I wasn't fine, just wanted to get off the road before some other nutter took the bend too fast and finished me off.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • daviesee
    Probably best get your wrist checked out.

Skeleton is fine.
    My muscles took the strain and it feels it. "Luckily" the direction of impact must have been in the direction of the joints so no bone damage. My excess padding must have taken care of the rest. :wink:
    I am confident that the aches will ease but Googling symptoms could turn anyone into a hypochondriac.
    If it doesn't ease then I will seek professional help but in my experience the treatment will be rest and pain killers.
    I am resisting the painkillers as it is bearable, I can sleep and I think pain is the body trying to tell you when to stop doing whatever you are doing.