Mud, Sweat and Gears 2012

Comments

• bigdawg
    bigdawg Posts: 672
    no nothing - no what you mean- waiting to fill in this years calendar...!
    dont knock on death\'s door.....

Ring the bell and leg it...that really pi**es him off....
  • ollie51
    ollie51 Posts: 517
    1st April - Tunstall
    29th April - Hylands
    13th May - Thetford - reg champs
    3rd June - Codham
    17th June - Venue TBC Matt was testing somewhere out today to see if it's suitable.

No Danbury - they struggled to get a course together and it was still very poor.

And there's quite a big change in format of the day.

It's something like this...

Morning: Ladies and Youth/Juvenile Races.
    Just After: Little 'uns.
    Mid-day: Elite/Expert/Sport/Juniors
    Afternoon: Open/masters/vets etc.

So there's no more warrior, racer etc. it's much more simple this way.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    All 2hr or a mix? Everyone set off at the same time or staggered?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ollie51
    Staggered, all with their own length of times.

Open is pretty much what warriors was and sport is pretty much racers.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    A few changes this year then. No Danbury and no Langdon Hills plus new race format and time changes. Looking forward to it!! 8) Any idea when the new site goes live?
  • bigdawg
    dont forget langdon hills is a national race this year, so yes it is on, but I dont know what MS&G will have to do with it if anythnig at all...

Cant say Ill miss danbury - well I kinda will, but the last two years the course has been silly bumpy.. Wonder where the noew one is..?!?!

Hmm also any idea of start off times for the various cats..??!

• C0LL0
    C0LL0 Posts: 271
    Spoke to MSG Guy on Sunday at London Bike show at excel, New website goes live begining of February
  • ollie51
    bigdawg wrote:
    Hmm also any idea of start off times for the various cats..??

It'll be similar to nat series in 2011, possibly slightly different:

0930 Race 1. All Female categories and Juvenile/Youth Boys
    1000 Go-Ride racing under 12s
    1100 Go Ride Racing Under 16s
    1130 Practice and Race 1 Presentation
    1200 Race 2. Elite/Expert/Sport/Junior Men
    1400 Race 2 Presentation
    1430 Race 3. Master/Veteran/Grand Veteran/Super Veteran Men/Open
    1630 Race 3 Presentation
  • VWsurfbum
    ollie51 wrote:
    bigdawg wrote:
    Hmm also any idea of start off times for the various cats..??

It'll be similar to nat series in 2011, possibly slightly different:

0930 Race 1. All Female categories and Juvenile/Youth Boys
    1000 Go-Ride racing under 12s
    1100 Go Ride Racing Under 16s
    1130 Practice and Race 1 Presentation
    1200 Race 2. Elite/Expert/Sport/Junior Men
    1400 Race 2 Presentation
    1430 Race 3. Master/Veteran/Grand Veteran/Super Veteran Men/Open
    1630 Race 3 Presentation
    If that is the case you can pretty much write me out of it, unless i get a sex change or pretend i'm under 16:?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ollie51
    It's not really that different to last year, race 2 is just the racers from last year and open is the 1 hour race for everyone else
  • VWsurfbum
    ollie51 wrote:
    It's not really that different to last year, race 2 is just the racers from last year and open is the 1 hour race for everyone else
    Sorry my mistake, i thought it was 14:30.
    Phew i can cancel the op now.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Does make sense to be honest rather that seperate races. so should be 80-100 mass start? Just hope the Racers dont get too annoyed with the slow guys in the 1 hour class.
  • bigdawg
    no, bring the women back to our times - that was my one respite at 90 minutes following the the elite women round... 8)

• C0LL0
    bigdawg wrote:
    no, bring the women back to our times - that was my one respite at 90 minutes following the the elite women round... 8)

You bad man :lol: :evil: :evil:
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    evo3ben wrote:
    Does make sense to be honest rather that seperate races. so should be 80-100 mass start? Just hope the Racers dont get too annoyed with the slow guys in the 1 hour class.

Just hope the Warrior don't get too p!ss off with the Racers pushing they way past.
    I have I read right! Master/Veteran/Grand Veteran/Super Veteran Men/Open all starting at same time? Codham last year on first corner with ditch going to be a massive back log.
    3rd June - Codham
    Nice. 3rd time lucky :twisted: Two more day then I'll be a Vet :shock:
    No Danbury
    Good it was boring.
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • ollie51
    edited January 2012
    IhateDNS wrote:
    Just hope the Warrior don't get too p!ss off with the Racers pushing they way past.
    I have I read right! Master/Veteran/Grand Veteran/Super Veteran Men/Open all starting at same time? Codham last year on first corner with ditch going to be a massive back log.

The warriors, or the open class doesn't race as the same time as the racers, or the sport, so they can't possibly get in each others way.

Can I just reiterate, the times I gave are taken from the british xc website, since Matt said the times for msg would be very similar to the format of the NPS from last year, they likely hood is that there will be differences.
    Nice. 3rd time lucky Two more day then I'll be a Vet

It'll be whatever your age is on the 31/12/12 (see the world's not going to end) not on the day of each race...

So unlucky :lol:
  • bigdawg
    it is I think the solution to problem I raised last year with the grand vets starting behind the rest of hte pack (ie them slower riders over when 'passing'!)

Didnt say anything about making the winners of categories go up to the next category too did he?!?!

• VWsurfbum
    bigdawg wrote:
    Didnt say anything about making the winners of categories go up to the next category too did he?!?!
    That would be good, but hard to enforce
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • IhateDNS
    IhateDNS Posts: 380
    Thanks for move.

Why can't MSG use olympics track this year like in September would be good publicity for all side.
    Is it down to cost?
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work!
  • ollie51
    IhateDNS wrote:
    Thanks for move.

Why can't MSG use olympics track this year like in September would be good publicity for all side.
    Is it down to cost?

because, 90% of the people who race at msg don't have adequate technical skill to ride the olympic track, it would be a health and safety nightmare.

You still have to be a half decent rider to ride the C and B lines. There are very, very few riders in the country who can ride all the A lines, on a xc bike.
  • VWsurfbum
    Interesting, you ridden it?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ollie51
    yes, do not underestimate it, it is, very, very technical, much more technical than anything you could ride at a Welsh trail centre for example.

Just to give you an idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSSuIvgl ... er&list=UL

that's Ben Thomas, one of the country's best riding it, and he doesn't take all of the A lines, I took exactly the same lines as him (except where he skipped the rock garden, which I could ride, but I was so slow the B line was quicker).

I would be skeptical of holding a national there, only the elites and the technically adept riders could cope, there'd be lots of broken bones.
  • VWsurfbum
    Thats probably the best video i've seen on the course, but it doesnt look technical as you say at all :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ollie51
    You have to ride it to understand how technically demanding the course is, then you'll understand. There's a reason it's an olympic mtb course. I thought exactly the same as you prior to riding it, afterwards I'd totally changed my mind.
  • VWsurfbum
    fair enough, i watch the DH world cups and think i could ride that :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • ollie51
    don't we all?
  • bigdawg
    speaking to alastair before he departed he did say that the olympic course was pencilled in for 2013, presumably when they've dumbed down the course - Ill take it a step further and say in its current format it would be unrideable for most riders. Even the alternative routes have parts that will literally throw you off your bike...

as usual the video flattens out the course it is extremely hilly and technical, if go to 3 minutes in the video I actually thought that was a downhill section when I rode it and crashed twice going down it, without the rocks (which never used to be there) that is extremely difficult to climb its so steep.

• stylish
    stylish Posts: 168
    I was under the impression that it was always going to be dumbed down after the olympics anyway, so it was more rideable for the average rider.

I hope we do get the opportunity to race there in 2013, although by then, i would imagine somebody somewhere will have woked out what they can make by charging to ride the course, and closing it on a weekend for a race will be a big no no.

Looking forward to seeing it when i go and watch the Mens Olympic race, much to my daughters disgust who wanted to see the Showjumping, (like i was ever going to rty for those tickets)............
  • C0LL0
    Would be good to ride Hadleigh farm as a race even In dumbed down course, I could ride to the race, roll up just before the start after a long lie in already warmed up excellent idea
  • bigdawg
    be a very rare race that you could actually ride to and ride home from... :D