Non clippless pedels for Road Bike

Bike-Rich
Bike-Rich Posts: 275
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I know clipless is the way forward and one day I will upgrade but at the moment I am doing a lot of street riding so just looking for a simple flat pedal for my road bike, any suggestions please?

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I have DMR V8's on mine at the minute, but I am looking at putting spd's on with multi release cleats.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    V8's are pretty standard as a flat pedal... I used to use them on all my DH bikes (but then got rid of them all).
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    You could try Shimano A530's. Flat on one side, and SPD clip on the other. I have them on my commuter bike so I can use them with regular shoes when the need arises. They will also be ready for you when you upgrade to clipless, which you should be thinking about as it makes such a difference to the riding experience :-)
  • Bike-Rich
    That is a good option actually, will look into that.
    What are the main benefits you have found to going clip-less, is it more energy for longer?
  • Bike-Rich wrote:
    That is a good option actually, will look into that.
    What are the main benefits you have found to going clip-less, is it more energy for longer?
    Personally I feel "connected" to the bike and it feels that every bit of energy I use goes to propulsion. There is a little play in my set up but I think the shoe itself also adds to the feeling of power as it is an extremely hard sole that does not flex under downward pressure and this adds to feeling of transfering all of my power to the pedal.

I think you can get carbon soled shoes to add to this feeling too, but I guess they are dear
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    MKS pedals are very good, I use the Sylvian Touring double sided version.
  • Bike-Rich
    Thanks for help guys :D
    Going to get a set of Shimano A530 and take it from there. Will look into getting some shoes next.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    MichaelW wrote:
    MKS pedals are very good, I use the Sylvian Touring double sided version.

GR-9s for soft soles. Decent contact patch and nothing to dig into the soles let alone rip them to pieces.

V8's obviously can't take clips and straps, I couldn't live without them though, found my feet expecting to be strepped on when I get my MTB up to speed at times :?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days