Friday question: Lasagne

2»

Comments

• clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    come on love, come and soften Daddy's onions.

No?
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    notsoblue wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    I also really like Moussaka.....
    Me too. Takes so bloody long to make, but I love it.

There lots of quick recipes around. I've got one at home I used before, I think it's from Waitrose, that took less than an hour not 100% authentic but still tasty. This one looks worth a go and looks healthier too... http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3027 ... e-moussaka
    The time consuming bit is slicing, sweating and griddling the aubergine. Can't skip that or you won't get the bitterness out...

Healthier? One does not make moussaka if one wants a healthy dinner.

The suggesting it that recipe is to prick it all over then throw it in the microwave then slice it. Interesting idea!

I also have a mandolin slicer which helps.....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    come on love, come and soften Daddy's onions.

No?

This is a good analogy for her cooking. NSFW
  • NSB - most varieties of aubergine now are not bitter, like hte murphys. You really don't need to salt n dry em any longer. GIve it a shot and see. Last one I made didn't bother and came out fine.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,955
    So... Jamie does a mashed layer of butternut squash in one of his versions

Tried a lot of Jamie's recipes. Most are spot on but that one was appalling...
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    SimonAH wrote:
    Standard - though I substitute lamb for beef.

Another good tip is let the vines from the tomatoes simmer in the sauce for a bit, really enhances the flavour.

the tomato is a member of the nightshade family, so is poisonous, but most things that taste good are toxic, no fun otherwise. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    Tesco '£10 Meal Deal' includes a vegetarian lasagne which is very tasty. The 'finest' mousaka is also a treat. Lazy, I know but to make a mousaka from scratch will require too large a meal being prepared for just Mrs S G and me.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    freeze the leftovers. reheat later?
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    team47b wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Another good tip is let the vines from the tomatoes simmer in the sauce for a bit, really enhances the flavour.

the tomato is a member of the nightshade family, so is poisonous, but most things that taste good are toxic, no fun otherwise. :D

Are you sure? I would have sworn that it was spuds that were kissing cousins to the deadly nightshade (woody nightshade?) Hence greenuns being poisonous. (John Irving in A prayer for Owen Meany)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    notsoblue wrote:
    I'd not thought about the flavour in the vine before, SimonAH, thats inspired...

The secret to a good ragu is to use pork mince and small chunks of beef imo.

The secret to good ragu is chicken livers... Believe me. 8)
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Also, unless you are picking tomatoes straight from the allotment don't bother with 'vine' ones...

The decent canned versions are the best, the vine tomatoes are under ripe, taste of nothing and overpriced. :(
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    SimonAH wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

Are you sure? I would have sworn that it was spuds that were kissing cousins to the deadly nightshade (woody nightshade?) Hence greenuns being poisonous. (John Irving in A prayer for Owen Meany)

Sure. Potato is also a member of the nightshade family (solanaceae), so are aubergines, capsicum, nicotiana, and some really toxic ones datura (jimson weed) mandrake etc.

Tomato plants are more toxic to dogs than people, although not sure how you would get even a dog to eat tomato plants! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    My missus makes the best lasagne ever, so ner -

Fresh lasagne sheet - bol sauce (home made) -cheese sauce (home made) -same again and finish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese not the dried sh*te. Sometimes adds spinich or peppers. Yum yum.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    The best lasagne Mrs S G makes utilizes left-over sauces from previous pasta meals which have been frozen. Somehow the synthesis of different sauces mixed up into a large batch is magic. A case of the completed article exceeding the sum of the parts.
    The older I get the faster I was