? Anything to worry about

Steve O'C
Steve O'C Posts: 13
edited January 2012 in Workshop
I have a Specialized Sirrus that I bought second hand a few years ago. The paint on the underside of the downtube is now bubbling off. Is this just cosmetic or does it indicate that the frame is going to fail?
Would be grateful for any opinions.

Comments

• Steve O'C wrote:
    I have a Specialized Sirrus that I bought second hand a few years ago. The paint on the underside of the downtube is now bubbling off. Is this just cosmetic or does it indicate that the frame is going to fail?
    Would be grateful for any opinions.

The frame is aluminium, salt from the roads has got under the paint and caused surface corrosion. Very much doubt it will be a problem.
  • It's just the silver paint flaking off... normal on alloy, had the same problem on Specialized Stumpjumper
    left the forum March 2023
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    i understand that aluminium oxide is non porous unlike rust, so it should only go so far and then stop if its not disturbed in theory. its kind of like nasty looking anodising.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    If its an ali frame then its filiform - corrosion that sits inbetween the non porous ali frame and the paintwork that causes the paintwork to worm up and fall off (commonly found on motorbike fork legs due to where they are).

Only solution is to blast it off and respray I am afraid.

Your frame is fine.

HTH

Y
  • Thanks folks. Im not too worried about the appearance and am reassured that it should be OK to ride.