OT: Dates on letters

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited January 2012 in Commuting chat
A couple of weeks ago I sent a letter to my bank asking them to close an account. However I dated it wrongly and put 12 December 2012 instead of 12 January 2012 :roll:

Does anyone know whether the date is taken to mean anything. Will they still action the letter straight away of wait until the date of it.

I haven't heard anything back from the bank yet which is why I'm asking if the wrong date may have had an effect.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I suggest ringing your bank will give youa more useful answer than asking here, unless your bank manager happens to be a forum member by some happy coincidence.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,781
    I don't think it will make too much difference, I would imagine most post is date-stamped when it arrives. As said, phone them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is it identity theft if its your present self impersonating your future self?
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Depends on what you said in letter. Did you give a date for it to be closed? If not bank may take date of letter as closure date - I know daft ain't it. But I used to work in bank and in cases like these you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Are you online? - check account existence, empty it and cancel payments. Is it a card account? has card been returned or destroyed. Unlikely to close account with an outstanding card available.

Oh beggar it just pick up the phone or call in tomorrow morning. Hang on 'sent a letter' !!!!!!!! have they got it?

This will just get worse when you cut the ties.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I've tried logging in to internet banking. It's a business account I'm closing and when I try to log in it says the pass code (generated using my debit card) isn't valid. So I'm wondering whether it has been closed. It would be nice to receive some correspondence about it though.

Probably shouldn't be surprised at not getting any letter though. It's not like I ever got any decent service for the monthly £5 maintence fee I was paying :roll:
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    sounds as if they are in process of closing account - can you use debit card anywhere else - cash machine for balance etc.

Hadn't realised it was a Bsns. acc., these always take longer to close esp. for continuing bsnss. risk of you suing if they don't pay a legitimate debt and harm your bsns. (may be o/s Debit card transactions)