Road bike hub bearing question

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Is it worth going for road bike wheels built onto hubs with sealed cartridge bearings over cup and cone?

I am looking for some news wheels and have seen the RS80's and everyone seems to recommend them but I don't really like the idea of cup and cone bearings. What are peoples experiences of the RS80's?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    why don't you like cup and cone?

Plenty of top end hubs run them - Dura Ace, Shamals...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • maddog 2 wrote:
    why don't you like cup and cone?

Plenty of top end hubs run them - Dura Ace, Shamals...

The thought of having to adjust them where as with cartridge bearings its just fit and forget. Maybe I am just making to much of the adjusting them.
  • Many top hubs have sealed bearings... Hope, DT siss... I advise you to try novatec... They are really good and reasonably ypriced...
    left the forum March 2023
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    you don't have to adjust them.... and anyway adjusting them is straightforward :wink:

The upside is that you can take them apart and regrease them. Cartridge setups are usually a bit trickier to dismantle and whack out/in old/new bearings.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I would not worry about cup and cone. I have been commuting on a pair of dura ace wheels for 6 or 7 years in all weather. Bearings are still the original and they have had only one or maybe two re-greasings. Not mega miles but I can see why Shimano aren't in any hurry to swap over to sealed bearings.

Peter