Decent bars

MountainMonster
MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys, looking for some bars, hopefully around 70GBP or so, flat, over 700mm and "decently" light.

Any decent recommendations?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    KCNC SC Bones. 250g, 710mm, £52.

Exotic carbon bars. 157g, 750mm, £60.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    + 1 for the Kcnc's definitely one of the best bars i've had a go on, if not the best, could always try the easton haven, they're also very good, bit heavier, but no doubt stronger
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Only naked ones ;)

Loads of bar choices though. All fine enough. Question is carbon or not, and how tough do you need it and how flat, perfectly flat, slight rise?

How wide will you go? http://www.freeborn.co.uk/blog/wp-conte ... de-bar.jpg ;)

FWIW though, Easton Havoc Carbon bars (750mm) myself though they're more expensive but can be had cheaper in the right offer or sale. The non carbon is in the price range however and I believe is as good, just not as sexy and light. The carbon is claimed to be one of the toughest bars around. Low rise, but not perfectly flat, but pretty much flat.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The exotic scandium is a great buy too, 25g heavier than kcnc, but 20 quid cheaper.
  • Exotic carbon bars. 157g, 750mm, £60.[/quote]

+1

These are the exact ones I've got picked out for my upcoming Edison refurb. With the KCNC ones finishing a close 2nd.

Amazing weight/price
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    +1

These are the exact ones I've got picked out for my upcoming Edison refurb. With the KCNC ones finishing a close 2nd.

Amazing weight/price

Been considering these too, but I think that they are worryingly light? A 4cm narrower easton haven carbon is roughly 50g heavier! I would just like to know where the weight has been saved compared to the eastons before I would buy.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    leaflite wrote:
    +1

Amazing weight/price

Been considering these too, but I think that they are worryingly light? A 4cm narrower easton haven carbon is roughly 50g heavier! I would just like to know where the weight has been saved compared to the eastons before I would buy.
    :lol:
    That's what I thought, to be honest. I'll let someone else try them out before I get some, they break and I end up spending way more than the cost of the bars at the dentist!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I'v been looking at those exotic bars, only ever hear good feedback from their other products. CWNT, if you get them can you give us a review please
  • Pfffffff! BoIIocks to that, I'm not being test monkey for you losers.

Can just picture it now, my first ride back after 12 months off the bike, picking up a bit of speed, hit the first bombhole and SNAP! Back in hospital.

Nah fella, I'll bide my time.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    or is it Easton is overpriced...
  • I'll probably go with the Exotics, last time I looked on their site they only had 700mm alu ones, now full carbon 750s, i'm happy! Thanks guys
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    Well it was woth a shot
  • hehe.

Nah, the real reason is that I'm off the bike now until probably summer at the earliest after having just had knee surgery. I'll be buying a set in the next few weeks but wont be able to test them for a while.

Everything else I've ever had from Exotic has been top notch. I see no reason why these would be any different.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Everything else I've ever had from Exotic has been top notch.

+1
    I currently have a 60mm exotic stem and 710mm exotic scandium bars, and they have all been fine. However, their bars have always been slighly heavier than competition such as KCNC (25.4, 710mm bars are roughly 260g, compared to 31.8, 710mm KCNCs at 230g ish). These carbon bars, on the other hand, seem much lighter than the competition. I accept that they will likely be fine for XC use, but im not so sure for use on a 150mm travel am bike. If someone can prove me wrong with this, I will seriously consider buying some!
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    If you're looking for something a little stronger, have a look at Sunline V1 bars. The 711mm width/OS clamp/19 deg rise bars come in at 260g, but are solid, no flex in them at all. Can be had in a selection of pretty colours and for £30 (if you're quick) from CRC. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=48619
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I got the Chromag Fubar OSX. It's got a logo of a bear scratching its nuts. Can't go wrong.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava