Evans Cycles bad unprofessional service

metalmonkey
metalmonkey Posts: 144
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I thought I would warn other people of the poor service Evans Cycles offers.

Well the story is I went into Kingston Store to exchange something over, that wasn't a problem. They had a Go Pro Hero HD 2 that was sale, simply it was missing a few parts. I said to the guys in the store I would have the camera, being that I was on my road bike no backpack I said I would come back later with my credit card and backpack as I had neither with me.

I called them back the following day to check they still had the camera, that they willing to put it aside it for me they said sure no problem they would hold it until the end of the day. I get to the shop, I was like Hey I'm here to pick up and pay for the camera. The assistant manager, was like its been sold. They sold it another random person, despite having taken my name, phone number and also who could have I been the same person!

So the assistant manger was like I will get another one for the same price, he would call me the next day. He never called so I called them. They said they had got another camera, but I would have to over to East London to collect it. I said no chance, get it sent to the Kingston Store. They never called back, it turns out the guy I had been speaking to was off work till next week. No one in the store had a clue what was going on.

So I called their head office to rasie the issue, I explaixed the issue they said they would call me back. So they call me back, the assistant manager said to the person head office they had never said that they would get one for the same price me which was £125, but just give 10% off a complete camera (I didn't mind it was missing bits, I would have built my own grips kit anyway) that I was lying about it. That that in fact the one they were getting for me from East London would only be 10% off not the price he had promised.

So after all that despite admitting their mistakes, they would offer 20% of the full price off a camera after I spoke with a manger I would have to wait till the middle of next month at least before they would have any. I couldn't belive just how rude and unprofessional the company is. I have bought two bikes of them, plus kit then they turn round and treat their customers like dirt.

The question has be asked if they act like this over a camera, they who will they behave when it comes to something more serious like an issue with a bike.

Comments

• I'd not say you've been treated like dirt at all.

They made an honest mistake by not putting the one-off sale item on hold for you (which they have no obligation to do anyway). Then tried to make it right by offering you 20% off a new camera (which again they have no obligation to do) when they have one in stock in a couple of weeks.

Sounds quite reasonable to me.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    +1 to CWNT.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +1

And don't use 'like' so much - it sounds stupid in conversation, in text it's utterly ridiculous.

Carry credit card with you on road bike too. Good 'get out of jail' item if you need a train or sommat, and would've prevented the whole ridiculously overstated affair.
  • The issue is that they assitant manager said one thing to me, then something different to the person at their head office implying that I had lied about what actually happened. Anyways I'll go find one cheaper else where, without the grief and having wait for them to mess about getting one. I needed it this w/end, not some time next month.
  • Good luck finding a brand new complete HD Hero 2 with 20% off this weekend then.

As for the asst mgr saying one thing to you and another to head office, it's your word against his. He could be a lying ass-covering toad, or it could have been a simple misunderstanding. Point is, as Njee correctly points out, if you'd had your card on you in the first place, none of this would be an issue.

like, u-n-l-u-c-k-y :lol:
  • Good luck finding a brand new complete HD Hero 2 with 20% off this weekend then.

As for the asst mgr saying one thing to you and another to head office, it's your word against his. He could be a lying ass-covering toad, or it could have been a simple misunderstanding. Point is, as Njee correctly points out, if you'd had your card on you in the first place, none of this would be an issue.

like, u-n-l-u-c-k-y :lol:

Well had they been truthful, I would have had it ordered it would have been here by now. Doing a bit of checking on the web I could get one for about £200 without any of this greif.

"Like" thats my fault spent far too much time in the US!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    shop sells merchandise shocker
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    They sold it another random person, despite having taken my name, phone number and also who could have I been the same person!

The moral of the story is someone beat you to it :lol::lol::lol:
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    Assistant manager probably works his balls off over Christmas dealing with us lot buying ourselves shiny new toys. Gets to January, someone is talking to him about some camera but all he can think of is those sweet impending days off to chill out, relax and ride his bike. Forgets about said camera situation in the haste of getting things in order before he departs........

Unfortunate, yes.

I never venture near a bike shop without some kind of 'just in case' payment method, well, just incase 'like.'
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852

Well had they been truthful, I would have had it ordered it would have been here by now. Doing a bit of checking on the web I could get one for about £200 without any of this greif.

Sometimes sh1t happens and you just have to move on.

Where can you get a Hero2 for £200?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You could have got one at just over that at the Cycle show in London... bit late to tell you that now though I guess...
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You didn't form any kind of contract with them for them to hold it for you.

I bet the manager could retire if he had a pound for everyone who said they will come back and buy it later.
  • ThanksBye
    ThanksBye Posts: 519
    As above, the amount of times we get asked by customers to put something to one side, to never hear from them again is ridiculous
    Cotic Soul
    Pearson Hanzo
    Airborne Zeppelin
  • money talks....simples
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    You snooze you lose
    Nicolai CC
  • Never trust a man whose eyebrows meet in the middle

Never sit down with a lightbulb in your back pocket

Never eat yellow snow
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Found the problem here:
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    As above, i ran my own business for 6.5 years and i wish i had £1 for everytime a cunter/punter messed me about. :lol:

I can feel my blood pressure raising, just thinking about it, arrrrghhhhh :twisted:
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • Holyzeus wrote:
    You snooze you lose
    Tiz true
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    Blah blah blah, because I'm worth it, blah blah blah, whinge, whinge, whinge.

Oh FFS get a life.

I had a dealer offer me an Alfa at near cost yesterday, turned up today, didn't happen. Didnt throw toys from pram for failing to save £9k. Took it on the chin and had a great day anyway. Are you a union 'member'?
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    I'd probably opt for buying a dictionary before a Go Pro. Stopped reading after a few sentences!
  • Was the price he was offering the camera at 20% off retail price? If so, he didn't lie.

Way to blow a small problem into a huge one, and shame a shop. I can't put anything on hold in stores without paying a small deposit, otherwsie when I come back it may be gone. I left no guarantee I was coming back, so for them to hold it without proof other than "yeah, i'll be back" is just retarded.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Deposits are unilateral - you are better off making a part payment. The subtle difference between the two is that if you put down a deposit and the seller fails to honour the agreement, all he has to do is give you back your deposit. If you make a part payment or down payment, he is open to a claim for damages, which would typically be the difference between the agreed price and the price you were subsequently able to source if from. Obviously this goes both ways.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Concorde wrote:
    Stopped reading after a few sentences!
    I've checked, I couldn't find any, perhaps I should complain to his head office that he mangled the sentence I wanted to read into something only vaguely resembling English?

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Will you be sending them a link to this thread?