which bottom bracket

timsim07
timsim07 Posts: 7
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I recently bought a kinesis maxlight xc130 frame and need a good chainset and BB to fit. i have a budget of no more than £100 (preferably less).

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano Deore, with change. Or SLX with no/less change.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    cooldad wrote:
    Shimano Deore, with change. Or SLX with no/less change.

+potato

If i'm not mistaken, the Deore is the same BB as the XT BB

Just had an XT cain set put in, the BB weights NOTHING!
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XT BB is sealed better Ithink. I stuck an XTR in and it's lasted much longer than the Deore, but BB's are not expensive, and worry about it when the Deore or whatever dies.
    Deore chainset is a bargain.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got any other bikes and if so what do they use and have you bought tools for it already?

Basically, keep to the same BB system across bikes and/or when you upgrade and you don't have to buy new tools for each one.
  • I've never had to change a BB before so don't have tools. tbh i'll probablsy get my local shop to fit it all for me and tune the gears as they normally charge very little. My other bike is a Saracen Mantra 2 so I've never really spent a lot of money on it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you get the shop to do it, get them to check and chase/face it, *for free* ideally. Only if it needs it.

I'm not of the religion that believes every bike frame these days needs facing no matter what, especially as they tend to be machined pretty well in the first place now and some BBs are affected more than others. However it should be something they chuck in for free if you're getting them to fit the BB anyway.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rushmore wrote:
    You are mistaken, they weigh different for starters, the Deore is about 98g, XT 87g (from memory of the recent MBUK review).

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • El Zomba
    El Zomba Posts: 164
    Deore, definately. I fitted a Deore crankset to my bike, bought on recomendation by Supersonic; it feels solid as a rock and won't hurt the wallet to replace when it wears out.
  • I've had a some deore in the past that wasn't up to expectations but I think i may well end up buying deore now. Also, i forgot to mention before i need a standard 22,32,44 set up and need it to be 9spd.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    For the BB? Doesn't matter, it's the HTII mtb bit.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Rushmore wrote:
    You are mistaken, they weigh different for starters, the Deore is about 98g, XT 87g (from memory of the recent MBUK review).

Simon
    Yeah, different :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    yreah
  • I'm probably gonna but this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=28020
    not sure what size though, 170mm or 175mm?
  • Chunkers1980
    175 is normal.

Depends - do you condider your BB low? i.e. do you get many pedal groundings? If you do you can reduce this by going shorter. 5/10mm either way is only a concern for roadies and racers..
  • I've read a few reviews of the xc130 frame that have complained that the BB is a bit low so I'll go for the 170mm. thanks