Which is Better

Megger02
Megger02 Posts: 5
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks from a newbie
I am looking to buy a new bike in a month or so, i have owned Trek's for a long time now, looking for some feedback on which bike is best....Trek Top Fuel 8 or Trek Fuel Ex 6
Both are in the same price range (2011 Models).
Thanks

Comments

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Top fuel is more xc/race orientated, fuel ex more travel , better suited to xc / trails. Depends how much travel you want / type of riding you do. 8 will generally have higher end equip than the 6. Treks, higher the number, better the spec.
  • Thanks DodgeT,
    I have just got into mountain biking again, need a bike that will run red mountain trails, but also country roads to help build my fitness again. So looks like a Top Fuel 8 then... :D
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Not necessily, you may well find the EX a better 'all round' bike for what you are after. (it has 120mm of travel against the 100mm of the top fuel I think).

You should prob also look at the Giant Trance X4 and maybe Canyon Nerve xc 6.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Very confused, I replied to this, but can't see my post. Keeps happening.

Can you try both, and decide which you prefer? The Ex is significantly lower specced if that's a factor.

I've got a Top Fuel, and love it. Had a 2010 one, replaced with a 2011 and I'm keeping that one for 2012, first bike I've kept for 2 seasons since 2005. I'm of the racey ilk, but find it a great trail bike too. If you have no aspirations to race then you may find the Ex a better choice, but the Top Fuel will climb better.