Maxxis Swamp thing - discontinued?

kal46
kal46 Posts: 19
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I have been trying to find some Maxxis swamp thing's. I would like soft 42a, 2.35.

Chain Reaction used to have them but dont seem to anymore, the choice of 2.35 has disappeared. I have looked about a bit and not many places seem to have them. I found some on Tredz ordered and now have an email to say they have been discontinued. Have they? whats the replacement?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Still listed on maxxis's webby.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kal46
    I know. But dont seem to be available, particulary in 2.35. Just wanted a bit narrower for a bit less rolling resistance. I also considered wet scream's but 2.2 seems pretty narrow.
  • kal46
    Thanks for that, I will give them a call. I dont like using sites I haven't before as I have to check about delivery to Guernsey, check they will knock of VAT, and the obvious not knowing the company. Been left in the sh#t a bit by Tredz though.

Any opinions on how much benefit 2.35 is as opposed to 2.5 for rolling resitance and grip. Likewise with Wetscream 2.2 as opposed to 2.5?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Maxxis have confirmed it's to be discontinued (though some rumours are that they've going back on that)

No loss tbh. For a big bike, fit a Hillbilly, for a little bike fit a Baron.
    kal46 wrote:
    Been left in the sh#t a bit by Tredz though.

Aye, that'll happen. Bunch of cowboys :(
    kal46 wrote:
    Any opinions on how much benefit 2.35 is as opposed to 2.5 for rolling resitance and grip.

You want a laugh? My 2.35 and 2.5 are exactly the same size. The 2.5's much heavier and a little slower rolling as it's the dualply version, not convinced there's any difference in grip.

If you really want a swampy, I've got 2 2.35s and 2 2.5s, in both maxxpro and supertacky, going spare...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kal46
    tbh?? think i've been told that one before but can't remember.

I thought dual ply mean't although heavier its stonger and better against punctures. I do have maxxis DH inner's though, so they are mega thick, and heavy.

I'm on a hard tail, it's old and with triple clamps so weighs about the same as a baby elephant. Given our terrain over here I think i'll try and get the swamp things asap (Tredz had it in stock but have waited until the end of the week to say they dont anymore) I was hoping to race on them sunday. I had looked at continental but very expensive in comparison to maxxis. Specialized over here can only be bought from the shop, and that'll cost a fortune too.

Cheers for the info.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    tbh = to be honest.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • kal46
    ah, thats it