Maxxis sizing

Ghostt
Ghostt Posts: 192
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone tell me how Maxxis 2.25" size up compared to Continental 2.2"?

Specifically, I'm looking at getting the winter tyres off and something a bit faster on. I previously had Conti Mountain Kings 2.2" (although the OEM wire bead version which were shoot), which were quite a tight fit on the rear (Orange G3) leaving maybe 10mm clearance max with the chainstays. I know conti sizes are quite large, so does anyone know how a 2.25" Maxxis, maybe a high roller, compares?

Cheers
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maxxis are pretty much the size they claim to be. Conti sizes are all over the place, some are big & some are small.
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Maxxis are pretty much the size they claim to be.
    I disagree. Maxxis definately use 2 different carcass sizes depending on the range. As a general rule, if the tyre has a 2.25 in the range they will come up big, if they have a 2.35 they will come up small (I run a 2.25 Ardent and a 2.35 Minion and the Ardent is bigger).

Don't know much about MK's but I wouldn't have thought you would have clearance issues with a 2.35 High Roller. If you're changing the pair and in any doubt if they will fit, buy a 2.35 first and try it. If it doesn't fit then put it on the front and buy a 2.1 for the rear.
  • Ghostt
    Cheers for the advice, especially about buying one tyre and sticking it on the front if it's too big, should save me an expensive mistake. Even confused my sizes in the first post as they don't do a 2.25 high roller, was looking at a 2.25 advantage!

Might just get the new MKs, rated well but pricey, but at least they'll work!
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's another thread about this somewhere just now... Basically, the key to Maxxis is the range of sizes. If a tyre comes in a 2.35 version, the sizing will almost certainly be cobblers. If it comes in a 2.25, it'll be reasonably accurate.

(perfect example- Highroller comes in 2.35. The 2.35 is smaller than an Advantage 2.25. The 2.5 Highroller measures almost exactly 2.35 on a typical AM rim!)

(less perfect example- my 2.35 and 2.5 Swampthings are exactly the same size.)

So, not exactly simple, but it's possible to make a good guess what size a Maxxis will be.

OTOH, there's no pattern for Conti that I can discern. I think it involves phases of the moon, and dice, and a spin of the Wheel of Fortune.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    I asked this in another thread and got some good advice. I ended up goggling the ETRTO values to compare tyre widths.

For example a 2.1 High Roller has a value of 47-559 meaning the tyre width is 47mm. A 2.1 Nobby Nic however is 54-559 - 7mm wider! A 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC is 50-559 - different again. All 26" tyres will have an inner tyre diameter of 559mm.

I ended up comparing loads of tyres using the specifications on the manufactures websites against the values of my current tyres. Not foolproof but a useful guide.

The High Rollers do come up very narrow.

Cheers

• Ghostt
    I did see the other thread (to do with Minions) but I was mainly wondering how Maxxis 2.25/2.35 sizing compares to Conti 2.2, as I know the contis come up large.

Having said that though, all you info has cleared it up (a bit!) and from what it sounds like I should be safe with a 2.35", can check it on the rear and order another larger/smaller as needed.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,480
    My Conti Rubber Queen 2.2's come up big - way larger than say Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1's which are on my other. bike. You'd expect them to be bigger but the difference is very noticeable
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Aye... Actually bigger than my 2.4 Mountain Kings :lol: Big carcass and tall, but are you actually finding them wide? My 2.4 RQs were almost bang on 2.4 across despite all the chat about size.

(I love this thread btw, makes me feel less weird about the fact that I measure tyres)
    Uncompromising extremist