Canyon Nerve XC 6.0

mountain mick
mountain mick Posts: 285
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking of getting a Canyon Nerve XC 6.0 but wondering about buying direct with regards service/customer support.

So to the people who have brought from Canyon i'd like to know how you got on with them plus any issue's that have come to light with buying direct and with the bikes.

Also any other opinions on them.

did have two other bikes in the shortlist which are Trek Fuel EX5 or Giant Anthem X5 both 2011
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
On-One Lurcher 29er

Comments

• cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    I have just bought a Nerve XC 9.0 SL... I had the urge to splurge.
    After spending most of the Xmas holiday on the Canyon site I chose the XC as it matched the kind of riding that I planned to do. The next step was to get an idea of sizing: this was exhaustive, with hours and hours spent trawling forums and trying to compare geometries. Even though Canyon have an online sizing calculator I contacted their UK rep direct to get his opinion. His response was rapid, well-informed and very helpful. Having said that, his recommendation was a large (I'm 6ft) but I still had doubts. I posted a topic here on the MTB forum and got an immediate response from a guy who's 6'1"... who rides a medium. So, I have a medium, and I have to say that it's perfect and something akin to a 'medium plus' or a small large. A close friend also bought an AL hardtail in medium and he's also 6ft (although his seat post is too short).
    I ordered the bike and it came within a week in a very solid box. Assembly was very simple (although I do know a decent amount about bikes). One of the really exciting bits of the buying process is tracking the delivery via UPS, which takes two days. Out on the trials I'm yet to come across another one, but they'll probably be like buses.
    The ride quality is fantastic and you're making a saving of over 30% against other brands. It looks a million dollars in my eyes too... nothing at all like a 'budget' brand. Buy one.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I had trouble with Canyons aftersales service as did a few others on this forum but plenty have had nothing good aftersales service. If you know plenty about bikes you will be fine if your a beginner I wouldnt reccomend buying a bike in a box better go to a shop and spend your money there.

I am 6 foot and I got a medium a large would have been like riding a 5 bar gate.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    stubs wrote:
    I had trouble with Canyons aftersales service as did a few others on this forum but plenty have had nothing good aftersales service. If you know plenty about bikes you will be fine if your a beginner I wouldnt reccomend buying a bike in a box better go to a shop and spend your money there.

I am 6 foot and I got a medium a large would have been like riding a 5 bar gate.
    is it really that hard to put a pair of wheels and the handlebars on? as for size, im 6ft 1'' and got a large AM which is perfect for me, the sizing really has more to do with your inseam and reach rather than height, had no issues with buying or service, had an issue with bike, freehub failure which was sorted on warranty, it did take the best part of a month, but to be fair to canyon they did have to send the wheel off to DT, and it was over the xmas/new year period, so overall have been happy with the service and the bike itself is fantastic :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    chez_m356 wrote:
    is it really that hard to put a pair of wheels and the handlebars on?

Going by some of the posts on here yes plenty of pictures of bikes with the forks the wrong way round and handlebars upside down.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    stubs wrote:
    chez_m356 wrote:
    is it really that hard to put a pair of wheels and the handlebars on?

Going by some of the posts on here yes plenty of pictures of bikes with the forks the wrong way round and handlebars upside down.
    i suppose you have a point, but since the op has been a member since 09, and looking at his sig, either has or had a bike, id imagine he probably has some idea, although i could be wrong :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    No problems with Canyon service here. The twisty dt Swiss rear qr thingy broke on mine, and they sent a new (proper) qr to replace it in a matter of days.
    My bike did take a bit of fettling to get the gears working smoothly, but I didn't really think anything of it. Suppose it might put some off.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • swelsbyuk
    swelsbyuk Posts: 421
    I bought a 2011 Nerve XC 6.0 (equivalent to this year's 7.0) in Sept sales (although it arrived in November).

Taken it out a couple of times on Purbecks and once on Quantocks and only met one guy so far who'd heard of the brand. That said, I've must have had half-a-dozen compliments on how it looks.

I am 5'11" and sold a large Giant Anthem to fund the purchase of the Canyon. I bought a medium and the sizing is perfect.

Don't concern yourself with buying direct - it has, I believe, a 28 day returns policy. Trust me, you won't feel the need to use this though!

This year's 6.0 is great value for money, but so are the others you mention. However, if I were you, I would choose the Canyon every day of the week and twice on Sundays.
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    Another point is that if putting two wheels on; handlebars; pumping shock up is too much for anyone to cope with, it shouldn't cost more than £30 at an LBS. Some might think this is a bit illogical, but on a 6.0 you are probably saving £400 against a brand like Specialized: some of this saving could fund a very simple putting together and set-up by a bike tech. Canyons come with a simple torque wrench, shock pump and instructions. My gears were indexed perfectly. I love it.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Your experience will depend on how capable you are with a bike, if you are handy and have realistic expectations you won't have an issue, if you are a numpty and unrealistic then maybe not.