New wheelset

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Can some please recommend a good quality wheelset for £200. If possible light ish with good hubs. For singletrack, trail use.
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • widge34
    Thanks. Already looked on Superstar. Any idea what their own wheels are like at £165 a pair?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    widge34 wrote:
    Thanks. Already looked on Superstar. Any idea what their own wheels are like at £165 a pair?
    no personal experience with them, but there seems to be quite a lot of people on here that rate them, you see quite a few in the your mountainbike section, also worth looking at http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • widge34
    I have WTB speediscs on at the moment with WTB hubs. The only thing is I don't know how much they weigh, and I can't really be assed to take them off and strip them down to weigh, so I don't really know how much of a weight saving I will get, which is the main reason for buying a new set.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Er OK. So bit of a pointless thread then.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    widge34 wrote:
    I have WTB speediscs on at the moment with WTB hubs. The only thing is I don't know how much they weigh, and I can't really be assed to take them off and strip them down to weigh, so I don't really know how much of a weight saving I will get, which is the main reason for buying a new set.

If you google the hubs and rims separately, you might be able to find out how much each weigh(entry level wheelset weights are not always published, but the hub/rim weights usually are. The weights can usually be found on the manafacturers website). Then add roughly 60-70g for brass nipples and 450g for 64 plain gauge spokes. This should give you a rough idea of what they weigh. My alexrims set with formula hubs etc comes to ~2.2kg