Ankle weights

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
I'm considering getting some of these to help me train for hill climbing - by running up stairs, using a step for exercising (aerobic type Step) or maybe just short runs. Would this work?

This isn't as a substitute for proper on the bike training, just an addition

Thanks

Comments

• islwyn
    islwyn Posts: 650
    Wow... Never heard of this before for hill climbing training! Will be interested to see the replies... I just get told "Get out there and tackle hills".
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    Easy one this......NO
  • Robert Millar used to ride with ankle weights, I don't think they are widely used though.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    One advantage of them is once you've picked up an injury when running with them you'll have more time to read your bike mags.

A dangerous waste of time and money.
  • rodgers73
    Ok, so much for that idea then!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,840
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Oh. Please could someone explain what's going on here?

1. I thought that you were supposed to have made your mind up before asking a question on internet forums.

2. That you should then go round in circles with unsupportable assertions opposing all the helpful comments from those who suggest that your idea might be wrong.

3. And that you must insult everyone who's got plenty of experience and is trying to be helpful.

4. And that under no circumstances should you change your mind. Keep digging instead.

Now, just to confirm that leg strength training is helpful for cyclists.
  • rodgers73
    I should probably call you a fascist or something here, no?
  • briantrumpet
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I should probably call you a fascist or something here, no?
    Hmm, maybe do a few warming-up posts first, making sure to add plenty of emoticons after some unhumorous insults. For instance:
    Catullus wrote:
    But meanwhile, you, enter the fire, you, full of boorishness and crudities, Volusian annals, papyrus droppings. :wink::D
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    For a brief period of time I was in awe of the physicality of Frank Bruno. (google him if you're too young)
    I remember reading an article about him running with 15 kilos of weights on his wrists and ankles.
    I'm not clear it did him any good though. Although he had a punch that could fell an elephant - he either had to get really lucky or the elephant had to promise not to move.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Difficult to see how it would be of much benefit, unless you are of the school of thought that believes "pulling up" on the pedals significantly increases the power you can put through the cranks. I thought that had been largely debunked.

Rather than exercising your "pulling" muscles by attaching ankle weights, why not exercise your "pushing" ones by tying big rubber bands between your ankles and your waist? It would offer all sorts of potential for amusing mishaps in public.. :wink:
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    I have a pair. Last year I was getting some knee pain after a few hours of riding. The physio suggested it was caused by weak hamstrings and recommended getting some ankle weights to do some strengthening exercises (ie lying on my front and 'curling' my feet towards my bottom). Do that mixed in with some more stretching to improve flexibility.

Could be a coincidence of course but the pain went reasonably soon and hasn't come back. It isn't going to make you Pantani but on the assumption that climbing uses more of your hamstrings than riding on the flat it might not be complete madness. I wouldn't do any running or anything with them on though :)
  • I think people might be forgetting that the additional inertia requires no extra power to maintain pedaling at same rate. It only adds a little to power required when accelerating. And the extra weight on the upstroke is automatically countered by the extra weight on the opposite leg helping to push down.

It's just a silly idea. Want to get fitter? Ride more and ride harder.
  • rodgers73
    I wasn't advocating using weights while riding. I was hoping to make other exercises (running, stair climbing etc) harder and so strengthen the leg muscles and increase power on the bike.
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    I wasn't advocating using weights while riding. I was hoping to make other exercises (running, stair climbing etc) harder and so strengthen the leg muscles and increase power on the bike.
    OK, well:
    1. cycling isn't a strength sport
    2. nothing will improve your cycling more than cycling
    3. ride more and ride harder
  • briantrumpet
    OK, well:
    1. cycling isn't a strength sport
    2. nothing will improve your cycling more than cycling
    3. ride more and ride harder

It's OK, I think he's twigged already:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Although if you can reignite the argument, that would make this a much more typical BR thread. There should be another ten pages until we come back to the beginning all over again.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Yes!!! Its a brilliant idea, all the pro's use them but they keep it secret through a complicated conspiracy so we idolise their climbing prowess!

Everyone else who's replied negatively is an undercover pro rider or directeur sportif. I know for a fact that danowat is really Lampre rider Daniele Pietropolli. :wink:
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I have the equivalent of 2 extra sacks of spuds on my body and when I stamp on the peddles it gives me a massive surge until I start climbing. My normal bike weighs 40 odd pounds which takes some pushing. However, since I have lost 28 pounds my climbing is getting better so with a bit more dieting I should start to fly up hill. The point of telling you this is.....I'm doing it without any aids such as ankle weights etc. and I'm confident that as time goes by all will be well. :D
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.