Softshell shower/ waterproof recommendations?

arlowood
arlowood Posts: 2,561
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi there

Starting to think about registering for a few sportives when the season kicks off March/April time.

Have a heavy duty waterproof that has served me well over the winter months but I now need a water/showerproof jacket that can be stored in a jersey pocket.

I know that the softshell types will really only keep out an occasional shower but I think that will be adequate for most conditions I plan to ride in.

Don't want to spend mega-money - say up to £80 max.

Have read some decent reviews for the Montane Velo H2O but wondered if there was anything else worth considering?

Any advice and recommendations welcomed

Comments

• jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'd save yourself £50+ and spend £25 on a rain cape, such as the Castelli Squadra - it isn't very breathable but will keep a heavy downpour at bay, and folds down to a fist size ball. Ideal if you get caught short on a long ride.

I'd then probably spend the money you've saved on a softshell. I have a Mavic Echappee, it's very good but a bit too warm at the moment. A base layer and the Echappee, with the Castelli rain cape covers me for most weather related eventualities.

My mate has an Altura windproof jacket and says it's perfect given the weather we're recently having. I have no personal experience of it, but the Polaris Tornado is meant to be good. Either of these and a rain cape would come in at about, or just over your budget.

I personally don't buy in to spending a great deal of money on a 'waterproof'. They never seem to be that 'waterproof' [standing by for grief from those that have spent £150+ on a Gore jacket]
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”