Assos glasses anyone ?

shedhead
shedhead Posts: 367
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
Who's up for lightening their wallet a little ? :shock:

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/a ... sses-33022
'Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts'.

Comments

• rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    And look like Bono in The Fly vid 8)
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Anyone that buys them has gotta be a blindly devoted assos person (or blind.. hang on... they wouldnt be able to cycle then... i'm confusing myself now), cos I cant see how anyone could look anything but the perfect balance of ridiculous/hilarious in them!!! £300 too!!! Brilliant ...the only people that could get away with them is a few of the members of Goldie Lookin Chain
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    I think they're awesome.

All talk of them looking ridiculous must be put into context (shaved legs, cycle helmets, lycra shorts, skin tight jerseys, shoe cover socks etc).

Saving for a couple of pairs.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    why pay £300+ when Oakley's are so good?
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • mfin
    And rudy's and a few others.

I spose some people are gonna like the style, I was gonna say they're probably 'marmite' but I reckon half the people I know like marmite, I cant imagine that to be the case with these suuuuuuuuurreeely
  • I'll hang on for the chinese ebay copies!

8)
  • mfin
    You'll have to, apparently Will-I-Am has pre-ordered all of the production run to add to his shades collection

33397425.png

william.jpg

will.i.am.jpg
  • horrid, to be honest i do not see why anybody would buy anything other than oakleys
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Assos glasses look horrible.

They'd look OK if we were still in the 80s.
  • mfin
    anto164 wrote:
    Assos glasses look horrible.

Now Ive seen them on Ive changed my mind :shock: :D

a.png
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    horrid, to be honest i do not see why anybody would buy anything other than oakleys

You're right, Oakleys have the edge.

overthetop-sunglasses-mohawk.jpg
  • mfin
    Yeah, but the bloke you just posted doesnt look as half as daft as the one who's actually wearing the assos ones :)

(Im not a default oakley fan myself though)
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    horrid, to be honest i do not see why anybody would buy anything other than oakleys

Because some of us a) do not like them b) do not want them c) cannot afford them d) do not want to spend that kind of money e) don't want to look like everyone else.

I'm an Uvex man myself because the lenses are very good, they are cheap, last well and when the sproglets pull them apart/I sit on them I'm not bothered. I've also destroyed a couple of pairs by rubbing sand on the lenses but I'm not particulary worried due to the price. I'm also a big Arnette fan, but can't afford them as I am permanently skint.

I presume by your post then that you wear/ride/drive/drink the same as everyone else?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Stanley222 wrote:
    I'm sure they are fantastic lenses and great quality but at £300 they are missing a trick surely - why would people pay that when there are so many other great glasses available for a lot less?!
    Damn straight. For that proce i could another pair of Oakley Jawbones and a pair of Ray-Bans in Carbon Fibre and still have change.

Oh and they look sh!te too! (Coming from the owner of a pair of bright red Jawbones).
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • mfin
    Stanley222 wrote:
    I'm sure they are fantastic lenses and great quality but at £300 they are missing a trick surely - why would people pay that when there are so many other great glasses available for a lot less?!

Because they're Assos, and on the back of a brilliant clothing brand which is considered 'expensive but the best', people will assume that these sunglasses are the best, and that they must look cool because they're Assos, that's all I can think.

I wouldn't mind betting that if they were £150 and made by Bolle, that naff all of the the soon to be Assos Sunglasses Owners would buy them, (and notice I didn't say £10 by Lidl, I was picking a good brand to compare to).

Ive got no dislike of Assos at all, or their prices generally, its the styling I'm on about.

See what you mean about missing a trick over £200 ones even if the lenses are good, but purely on a money basis, £300 is nothing to some people.

So style-wise thumbs down, functionality-wise thumbs up ...oh, sorry, down, cos I don't think any cyclist will be saying in 2 years, thank god for Assos glasses, remember when we all used to wear other glasses, that was mad wasn't it eh, those £200 ones, you could hardly see through them!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Is that a wig!?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They will probably be bought by Mamils- as they order their top of the range bike, with full Assos kit to go with it. If your bike is ten grand, they may even throw the shades in for free ?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Spent a few years working in a business which made, sold and distributed prescription eyewear - margins were massive, particularly the premiums charged for all the fancy optical coatings and designer frames etc. You are probably looking at a material cost of $15-20 a pair. Does this mean that the circa 1986 pair of Assos shades in my shed are worth a fortune?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I'm waiting for the even more expensive Rapha sunglasses to come out! :-)
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    KentPhil wrote:
    I'm waiting for the even more expensive Rapha sunglasses to come out! :-)

"made only from the finest plastic, specially recycled from Jacques Anquetil's discarded milk cartons - with lenses made from the window glass of a 1955 Citroen Avant..."