Paris Nice Route

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2012 in Pro race
The bits we know about sound suitably old skool

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10975 ... eturn.aspx
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    A Col D'eze tt will be good to see again.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    only started seeing this race the past few years. What's so special about the Cote D'Eze tt ?
  • pat1cp
    A tt up Col D'Eze was traditionally a stage on the final day of P-N. It was sometimes a split stage, TT in the morning followed by a race stage in the afternoon.

Most of Sean Kellys wins, if not all, included a TT up Col D'Eze.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Profiles of Stages 4,5,7,8.

51894_Etape41.gif
    dfbba_Etape51.gif
    a9f0b_Etape62.gif
    01eca_Etape81.gif
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Looks like a good profile.

Does anyone really get excited about Paris Nice?
  • pat1cp
    It's usually the first televised stage race of the year, so I do. Check out the past winners, its like a who's who.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

I loves it. Never predictable.

Strava is not Zen.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203

Yeh I do too, I've always enjoyed it and I always feel the season really gets going with it. And as pat1cp says, usually the first of the stage races we get to see.
  • i get excited about it too. and i will do again this year.

it's a nice parcours too - what kind of rider does it favour? mende and eze favour (and punish) different slightly types of rider, and that's where the time gaps will be made.

the return of eze is bittersweet - it means the GC will go to the last day but the battle for the stage win into Nice has been good the last few years.
  • Looks like a good profile.

Why not?
    It was consistently the best week's racing through the mid-noughties.
    Hit a trough last year though and with the look of these parcours, could well repeat, this year.
    I'm not in favour of the old, final day, Eze ITT.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

I think you asked the same question last year. Or maybe another person did.

The race is amazing. Everyone who is anyone wants to have it on their palmares. The route is typically great, the contenders are superb and the racing very exciting.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244

I think you asked the same question last year. Or maybe another person did.

The race is amazing. Everyone who is anyone wants to have it on their palmares. The route is typically great, the contenders are superb and the racing very exciting.

I did. Rather like the calendar, I am cyclical.

Find it tough to get revved up for Paris Nice. Seems the place it has in the calendar. So early on, and so far removed from any other stage race. Romandie, the Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, they all have significance because of what follows.

Will put some effort in this year - see if that helps.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    It's one of my favourite races of the year. You generally get good racing, the route is hard but balanced and the (usual) change from winter at the start to a hint of spring at the end warms the heart.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I love Paris - Nice, it always seems like the proper start of the season to me (that and the Eddy Soens Memorial!).
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    I enjoy it too. Yes it is early season but it actually has riders who target it for a win. With races line Romandie, Suise, Dauphine etc they just having riders going through the motions to gain form for the tour. I know based on that which one I would rather watch.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    If its on TV then I watch it whatever.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    The 2011 edition was a bit shit but generally I love Paris-Nice. I think this years route looks like it could be a good one. I for one hope Contador doesn't ride, because if he does he'll win it.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I rode the prologue last weekend (not just the prologue, it was on the route :wink: ). Last few years I've seen the opening stage and I'm pleased they've gone back to the prologue foremat, plus this is quite a hard 10 k with a tough little climb (well for me it's tough!).
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I bloody love Paris Nice. First proper stage race of the year after the training runs of TDU, Qatar Oman etc. I love Tirreno Adriatico too.

My wife loves the part where Paris Nice and Tirreno overlap :D
  • frenchfighter
    The 2011 edition was a bit shoot but generally I love Paris-Nice. I think this years route looks like it could be a good one. I for one hope Contador doesn't ride, because if he does he'll win it.

He is riding Tirreno Adriatico instead.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    The 2011 edition was a bit shoot but generally I love Paris-Nice. I think this years route looks like it could be a good one. I for one hope Contador doesn't ride, because if he does he'll win it.

He is riding Tirreno Adriatico instead.

Really? It will be really interesting to see him up against Scarps et al on the steep little climbs.

Hold on. He'll be banned. That's almost a shame.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    Dont you get tired of repeating the same old stuff. Your contributions arent valuable as 75% are simply some inane rubbish against Contador. Broaden your horizons; develop two areas of interest.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    No mirrors in your house FF?
  • frenchfighter
    Thought you or he would say that. All I need to say in response is that I post and contribute on all sorts of subjects.
    Contador is the Greatest