Pedals and Shoes Combo

mcnultycop
mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
After going to Lee Quarry today as described over here. I lost my Airwalks off my stock Bontrager pedals a good few times so I think I need to upgrade. I quite fancy some SPDs but I'm not ready for them yet, so the advice seems to be FiveTen shoes.

Would these Five Ten Impact 2 shoes and these Ignite pedals be a decent combination, or would I be better with some of these CNC Nano Thru Pin pedals instead? I'd prefer not to spend £70 on shoes if I could get away with it (and they aren't in stock in Evans at that price, so I'd have to look around - first link I grabbed), as I probably only manage to ride 3 times a month, but if they are really good then I'll probably invest.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    p.s. I mainly ride mixed sort of cross country stuff most weeks, but like to try and get to a trail centre once a month and now I've discovered Lee is so close I'll be heading there and hopefully when I fins it to Cragg a lot more. I'm 18.5 stone (although dropping pretty rapdily) so need something fairly sturdy.
  • CharlieH
    CharlieH Posts: 410
    I worried about spending lots of dosh on some 5 tens but since trying them, along with superstar nano thru pin pedals, I'm a convert and recently bought a second pair of shoes (karvers) for wetter weather

The shimano flat shoes are also highly recommended too and are a touch cheaper

Pedal wise, the general choices seem to be either the SS nanos or wellgo mg1's

With the above combo, I've not had any slips in over a year
  • mcnultycop
    Cheers, I think my LBS has some Shimano shoes in so I'll give them a go first to see if I can save some dough.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Five Tens and any decent size platform with big pins (not smooth edged, just the screw types will do).
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I've been riding on SS nanos with five tens for over a year now and would recommend the combo. There are grippier pedals but I like to be able to adjust my foot easier and I've never had any slips.

I converted from spds to flats after fumbling to get my foot out close to the edge of a quite a scary drop at Whinlatter. Been riding with spds for over 10 years as well so it's not like I wasn't used to them.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    With decent pedals your shoes will probably be fine. I'd change those first. Decent Wellgos go from £20odd on sale at CRC to £30 odd for MG1's. That's probably all you need.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    CharlieH wrote:
    I worried about spending lots of dosh on some 5 tens but since trying them, along with superstar nano thru pin pedals, I'm a convert and recently bought a second pair of shoes (karvers) for wetter weather

Karver and Nanos= loads of grip, sometimes too much but my only choice.

Not only has the Karver got stunning looks they offer quite a bit of protection, mine are coming up for 2years old now and they are still going strong, no splits, loads of grip still left on the soles, just a bit of frayed ankle support.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • 1mancity2
    cooldad wrote:
    With decent pedals your shoes will probably be fine. I'd change those first. Decent Wellgos go from £20odd on sale at CRC to £30 odd for MG1's. That's probably all you need.

Fantastic grip with these pedals but they felt a little narrow for me, especially with my "special" shoes on.
  • cooldad
    1mancity2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Fantastic grip with these pedals but they felt a little narrow for me, especially with my "special" shoes on.
    They are actually wider than nanos
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    1mancity2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

They are actually wider than nanos

Yep, Sonic pointed this out to me yesterday in another thread, I'm still in shock. I actually have both MG1s and Nanos and I would swear blind the nanos are bigger. Glad I'm not the only one.
  • cooldad
    I think they may taper a bit more
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    cooldad wrote:

Probably do, cause they do feel narrow compared to nanos even though they may not be :shock:
  • cooldad
    1mancity2 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Probably do, cause they do feel narrow compared to nanos even though they may not be :shock:
    Must be those clown feet
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools