Cally's dead, long live Beyonce!

VWsurfbum
VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
edited March 2013 in Your mountain bikes
So after breaking Cally (Gary fisher Sugar 292) by cracking not just the front triangle i did the back too for good measure:roll: The hunt for the new frame started, and the choice of full suspension 29er frames are limited at best and the price of the ones that are available is astronomical!
I contacted one of the suppliers directly and discovered they did a frame, but unfortunatly details were scarce and a few things got lost in translation.
So after Crimbo and payday i placed the order, 13 days later it turned up, Excited wasnt the word.
WP_000904.jpg
WP_0009052.jpg
WP_000907.jpg
WP_0009082.jpg
WP_0009092.jpg
temporary-24.jpg
temporary-25.jpg
temporary-28.jpg

So then i get home after a long day to start the fettle and the first thing i did was try my shock for size.
WP_0009122.jpg
Bugger.
Then i was meeting my mate to get the headset, but it wasnt the tapered one i thought it was, bugger :evil: so i now need a 1 1/8" to 1 1/5" crown race :roll:
but i knew i would need a couple of things, so a length of gear cable and rear disc, so not too bad.

Carried on putting the rest together.

temporary-29.jpg
WP_0008872.jpg
WP_0008852.jpg
VWDog always casts a watchful eye over my fettling.
WP_000918.jpg
WP_000916.jpg
Internal routing and under belly routing is super cool.
WP_000913.jpg
WP_000914.jpg
WP_000921.jpg
WP_000922.jpg
WP_000923.jpg
WP_000927.jpg
temporary-22.jpg
WP_000916.jpg
WP_000927.jpg
Frame: Full suspension 29er (prize for the first correct guess which one)
Forks: Manitou Drake 120mm
Bars: Truavtive 680mm riser
Stem: Giant 70mm
Headset: came free with frame
Grips: Superstar Excell in the wrong colour

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy soon to be replaced
Front Caliper: Avid Juicy soon to be replaced
Front disc: Clarks super light 203mm
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Juicy soon to be replaced
Rear Caliper: Avid Juicy soon to be replaced
Rear Disc: TBC
Hoses: Superstar red

Shifters: SLX
Cables: Jagwire red
Front Mech: N/A
Rear Mech: SLX
Chain Device: Superstar modified to Carbon
temporary-22.jpg

Seat: SDG TI jobby
Seat Post: Raceface / Joplin
Seat Post Clamp: Superstar

Cranks: Stylo
Chainring(s): FSA
Chain: KMC
Cassette: DEore 12-36t
Pedals: Crank Bros candy C's / DMR V8's
Bottom Bracket: Superstar

Front Wheel: Crank Bros cobolt
Tire: Mountain king 2.4 ATM

Back Wheel: Crank Bros cobolt
Tube: Tubeless
Tire: Mountain kings 2.4

Weight: Next to feckall! When i get hold of some scales i'll weigh it then!
Kazza the Tranny
Now for sale Fatty

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    looks great actually! i'm a fan of the naked carbon fibre look.

i would look into the 2012 slx or xt brakes. great power and feel and way more reliable than anything avid ever made.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    hongfu FM036 carbon 29er ??? looks nice, but doesn't look like theres a whole lot of travel on the rear shock
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    that looks chuffing nice, and looks bloody well made too for the price!! will be interesting to see how it holds up in the long run, i bet alot of peeps on here have thought about these or similar models, you are the test dummy for the rest of the forum, god speed sir!!! :lol:
  • Looks pretty good! As lawman said, you're our test dummy now ;)

What will you do with the shock? Looks like it needs a shorter one...
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Cables look too short under the BB.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • VWsurfbum
    The shock is far too long, i wont ride her until i get a shorter one, Crudely measured it looks like it needs a 185mm eye to eye? i'll do some research. same as the rear mech cable, its about 50mm too short :roll:
    I'm well aware that people will be watching what i do with this, even close riding buddies. with very little choice out there it was a case of what ever i could afford really. it was almost cheaper to buy a complete bike than a single frame on some models!

Jay i have earmarked the SLX brakes as their dead cheap on Merlin right now, but also Formula Oro's are banging value too?

Lawman, its a lovely looking frame in the flesh, the photo's dont do it justice. What copter tape did you use on the Mojo?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    The shock is far too long, i wont ride her until i get a shorter one, Crudely measured it looks like it needs a 185mm eye to eye? i'll do some research. same as the rear mech cable, its about 50mm too short :roll:
    I'm well aware that people will be watching what i do with this, even close riding buddies. with very little choice out there it was a case of what ever i could afford really. it was almost cheaper to buy a complete bike than a single frame on some models!

Jay i have earmarked the SLX brakes as their dead cheap on Merlin right now, but also Formula Oro's are banging value too?

Lawman, its a lovely looking frame in the flesh, the photo's dont do it justice. What copter tape did you use on the Mojo?

brake wise, if you are very, very quick, rose bikes have some 2012 xt's which you can get £130... and if you're not quick enough, then a little moaning about they're shoddy site and how they never update the stock info and you usually get what you want :lol: otherwise the slx's look very good

i used some tape i got from a mate who works at 3M's, just standard stuff really, its not quite clear, but on a carbon frame it looks great and it looks clear on mine, i have a shitload of the stuff, like im fairly certain ive got 20-30metres of the stuff, if you want some gimme a shout :)
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    That looks a bloody nice bike!!! :D
  • VWsurfbum
    Cheers lee!
    Lawman expect a PM
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    nice curves on that beyonce
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    Mate SLX are the way forward, mine are excellent on the pig, the ice tech pads seem to attract the dirt though so I've saved them for when it's dry and bought a standard set.

Looks good though

Give tf tuned a called, they'll advise what shock to go for.

Where is the frame from?

Do.not.paint that frame, some choice custom decals and it'll be finishing touches!
  • VWsurfbum
    LOL i wont be painting the frame, i just want to get out and ride her and her curves :wink:
    I need to get hold of a cheap shock or borrow one till payday which is not until the 15th of next month!!!! :evil:
    looks like the brakes might have to wait until the month after now if i have to buy a new shock :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    edited January 2012
    Looking good! Looks very similar to the Titus rockstar on one do. It even has the same plastic dropout protector thing. Id have thougt the shock would be a 165 or a 190mm?
  • VWsurfbum
    it does look very simular but Titus dont make a carbon 29er version of their rockstar, very simular to the 26" one though.
    http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/titus-ftm-carbon-zoom.jpg
    Or pretty close
    shapeimage_2.png
    but also
    3581118799_b51d8803be.jpg
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    Just finished fixing the headset, the rear gear cables and few other little bits. fitted a 190mm shock but its still a little too long so i need to source a 184/5mm one.
    WP_000924.jpg
    gave her a run round the block in the rain with VWDog. Lully. feels much better fit than Cally and certainly a bit more chuckable.
    WP_000927.jpg
    WP_000930.jpg
    Still to do is fit the chain device, cut the steerer tube to a sensible length oh and fit a rear disc, when i find one :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • Dude, I really like everything about this bike, the finish, the spec, the material (I'd have a carbon fibre house interior if I could).... Apart from the way it looks :-( it's the kink in the down tube by the BB and the look of the seatstays near the top (though that could be to do with the over long (like my obvious, that) shock. It's as if they had a number of carbon tubes of a fixed length and squeezed/shoehorned them in. Sorry I don't like critiscising based on subjective things (in the eye of the beholder etc) but something doesn't sit right with me on this.

All this, of course, is irrelevant as it's your bike and I'm sure it'll ride ace. Have fun!
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • VWsurfbum
    Cheers tom, i think 29ers are a bit odd anyway, i have got used to the oddness of their looks i suppose, the kink in the down tube seems to be more common in recent bikes, see the Garry Fisher, Spesh, Intense etc, i wasnt sold on it at first.
    Grrr the bloody shock thing pee'd me off. :lol:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    Looks a bewt, glad it worked out with the frame, packed it well too and the finish looks superb from the pics.... getting all excited about mine now, a couple of weeks away yet though, nice one!
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • VWsurfbum
    13days in total, good to their word, 7-10 working days!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    lawman wrote:
    rose bikes have some 2012 xt's which you can get £130...

Cheers for the heads-up, set on order 8)
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Very nice, are you going custom decals or leaving it stealth (this!)?
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • VWsurfbum
    Strangely enough i was sorting the Decals out today, i have a head tube design but not a downtube design/name :?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 1mancity2
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    Strangely enough i was sorting the Decals out today, i have a head tube design but not a downtube design/name :?

Can recommend Slik graphics been over to sort my custom decals for my Reign.
  • VWsurfbum
    i know a bloke/shop locally who did my last bike for me, brilliant. but i gotta make my mind up first of what to have?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • 1mancity2
    Yeah thats the tricky bit!
  • VWsurfbum
    Cheers for that, not sure which way to go on the shock? Wasn't part of my plan see :roll:
    Id like a RP23 not sure how the monarch compares, but I like it in white <3
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • VWsurfbum
    so i have now fitted the modified Carbon chain device, cut down the steerer tube and fitted a new star nut. the headset came with one of these new fangle top nut, which looks ace but doesnt work?
    it fits inside the steerer tube and tightens good and tight but doesnt really pull it all together? very odd.

Hopefully i'll get out on her tonight to see how she rides in the mud?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    pilch wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    rose bikes have some 2012 xt's which you can get £130...

Cheers for the heads-up, set on order 8)

Why'd you have to mention this? Gone and bloody ordered some now and I really shouldn't be spending money on bits. Worth noting that the levers are the wrong way round (right hand rear, left hand front) so I'll need to change that when they arrive. Got to keep them hidden from the missus though :oops:
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    VWsurfbum wrote:
    the headset came with one of these new fangle top nut, which looks ace but doesnt work?
    it fits inside the steerer tube and tightens good and tight but doesnt really pull it all together? very odd.
    I had this with the Planet X. If it's the bung type you need to put it in the fork, tighten it, then fit the stem, spacers etc, then the top cap and bolt to pull it all together.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?