C2W how to end early

beduffrich
beduffrich Posts: 61
edited February 2012 in Commuting general
Hi all, I bought a bike on C2W and a month or so later my employer moved my workplace from 5 mile away to 15 mile away. I want to know if it's possible to return my bike as I don't want to cycle this far each day?
Commuter: Boardman Hybrid Team 2011

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Probably not. you can either buy it outright now (possibly only if you leave the company) or keep paying each month.

I do 15 miles each way three times a week, it's quite nice. Obviously helps that I've got showers here.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Unless you can see a get-out in the contract that allows early termination for such a material change, you're probably stuck with it.

As you can use the bike for things other than commuting why not keep it, or as Bails says just do the additional miles. I'll see his 15 miles each way three times weekly and raise you 20 twice a week, more when poss. It's huge fun, entirely do-able. Give it a go - you might be pleasantly surprised. You should be able to knock that out in a an hour. :)
  • The reason I'm cautious about doing the distance is due to the lack of showers at work. I don't wanna be stinky all day. :oops:
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    With a change of clothes at work, and avoiding artificial fibres on top, plus not wearing too much so you overheat 15 miles can still be done without stink.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I do 20 without showers; so do lots of others who commute distances. It's not an issue.

Shower first thing before setting off for a base cleanliness, do the ride, spend a few mins logging your miles on Stats + a bit of faffing whilst you get your breath back, then claim the disabled khazi for 15 minutes and do a strip wash using a good flannel & a tub of that squirty soap that comes in push top dispensers. A bit of deodorant to finish and you're probably cleaner & fresher than some of the people you work with.
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    Babywipes all over work pretty well for a freshen up, although I'm fortunate enough to have showers at work.
  • Where i work, I would say about 90% of the people who used the scheme don't cycle to work at all.

Is it still not to your benefit getting a bike tax & interest free?
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    flog the bike but don't tell anyone, you'll get more than you effectively paid for it after tax.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Dont they ask to see it at the end of the scheme?
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    beduffrich wrote:
    Dont they ask to see it at the end of the scheme?

Stolen...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    You are not obliged to commute on a bike just because it's on C2W! The official wording says you should use it at least 50% for commuting, but that only means you shouldn't use it more than 50% of the time for anything else.
    But no-one's checking and it's up to you how meticulously or otherwise you log your usage ;-)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    If you use it once to cycle to work, and leave it in the garage for the rest of the year. That's 100% of your journeys for cycling to work.
  • The thing is I won't use it now as I'm not commuting so I have a £750 bike that's done 100 miles sitting there doing nothing. I could really do with the cash from it tbh.
  • I would cycle to work on the weekend and see how you feel about the distance.

The baby wipes are a good idea as I used to use them but now have showers.

Could you ask your bosses for a shower to be put in. Put forward a good business case that shows that encouraging cycling would lead to a happier and healthier workforce.