Which colour locktite is re-settable/re-usable?

FransJacques
FransJacques Posts: 2,148
edited January 2012 in Workshop
I did a big forum search for this one but didn't see anything adequate:

I have Ultagra 6700 tubeless wheels where the super-size nipples screw directly into the rim. On the rear, 1 NDS nipple keeps self loosens all the time - on a per-race basis. I want too add resistance to the threads to stop this from happening or at least slow it down.

I notice a lot of Shimano screws come with either light blue (brake pad grub screws) or white (STI level fasteners) compund on them.

What would the super-mechanics on the forum suggest for this application?

thanks in advance!
When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.

Comments

• What do you mean by reusable? A super mechanic would ask why you are trying to bodge a job in the first place.

http://www.loctite.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/h ... %3Dsearch|

That is a very big url above but it does show all uk loctite thread locking products together with the breakaway torque in Nm.

Spokes do not have torque values as such because truing a wheel is done by hand & eye input ( feel ).
    What is your weight, how much stress is the spoke subjected to, why is it undoing itself all the time?
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    with my experience, it is not re-usable. You put it on to lock something in place. If you undo it, you clean the thread and reapply more.

The only time I have ever seen stuff like thi is in motorsport/aerospace/military applications with such things as K-nuts, or pinch nuts.

So to answer your question, either set it in, or be prepared to keep stripping down and reapplying.

PS its the same theory as Nyloc nuts - you should throw them away and use new ones if you undo, but most people don't
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Blue stuff is dismantal-able, the red stuff is supposed to be permanent.
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2