Continental 4 seasons v Continental Gatorskin Tyres

hambo
hambo Posts: 49
edited January 2013 in Commuting general
New bike should be arriving tomorrow but don't like the tyres they come with. So I'll be upgrading the tyres which are 700c x 28.

Just wanted to know if it is worth me spending an extra £20 for a pair of Continental 4 season tyres over the Gatorskins. i.e. is there much of a difference in terms of rolling resistance and puncture proof with them or should I just stick to buying Gatorskins?

Comments

• Although my experience is relatively short and anecdotal - here goes:

I got my CX bike 4 months ago, I immediately tried to source some better tyres, and decided a set of 4 seasons was going to be better. Unfortunately at the time I could only source one - so I actually ended up with 1x 700c x 28 4 seasons which I put on the rear, and 1x 700c x 28 gatorskin which I put on the front.

The gatorskin is about half again the weight of the 4 seasons, but I didnt mind for the commute. In the last 4 months and 1000ish miles I have had ONE puncture, which was a sneaky sharp piece of flint which managed to penetrate the gatorskin on the front. the gatorskin shows almost no wear at all, and the 4 seasons is only slightly worn.

I consider both tyres to be very good, and also very grippy, although I think the 4 seasons does just about pip it on grip.

When these tyres wear out I will be replacing them with a full set of 4 seasons, purely for the fact that they grip a smidge more, and they are slightly lighter. Also I think the 4 seasons is marginally smaller.

Hope this helps!
  • hambo
    Thanks for the feedback gosport. Just had a quick scour of the net and there seems to be a few that have had trouble with the sidewalls collapsing on the gatorskin and I figured the 4 seasons were a bit tougher in that department from the read.

Anyway managed to get a pair of the 4 seasons with pair of presta inner tubes for £58.90 along with their £5 voucher just for signing up to their enewsletter which I think is a decent price. Just hope they do the biz now.

Cheers
    Hambo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've done much of my riding on Gators and swear by them. Never tried 4 Seasons though
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    I have been using a pair of 4 seasons for a year in which I have ridden around 6000 miles on them, they are fast and grippy and although they are a little bit cut up they are not showing major wear. It is worth mentioning that I am using Slime inner tubes but the most impressive thing about these tyres is that I have never had a visit from the puncture fairy while using them. The best road tyres I have ever had and well worth the premium price.
  • hambo
    I have been using a pair of 4 seasons for a year in which I have ridden around 6000 miles on them, they are fast and grippy and although they are a little bit cut up they are not showing major wear. It is worth mentioning that I am using Slime inner tubes but the most impressive thing about these tyres is that I have never had a visit from the puncture fairy while using them. The best road tyres I have ever had and well worth the premium price.

That's pretty impressive. Never heard of slime inner tubes, could you let me know what ones you bought as I may get these if they help
  • meanredspider
    I dumped my Slime inners about a month after I got them. Not only are they pretty heavy, but the gunge seemed to get everywhere (blocking the valve), I still got punctures and, to insult to injury, the gunge also seemed to unglue instant patches after about a week. Since then, I've run Gators and they've been almost perfect in terms of keeping the fairy away
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I dumped my Slime inners about a month after I got them. Not only are they pretty heavy, but the gunge seemed to get everywhere (blocking the valve), I still got punctures and, to insult to injury, the gunge also seemed to unglue instant patches after about a week. Since then, I've run Gators and they've been almost perfect in terms of keeping the fairy away
    +1

I had slime tubes on the MTB, worse than useless. They puncture anyway, then make a repair impossible.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    I rode gatorskins on my commute last year (across london SW to E) and in that time only had one punct*re. Very dependable tyres. When it started to get rainy on a regular basis I had a couple of moments with them feeling like they were losing contact/aquaplaning and it really shook my confidence. Since then I've been riding the 4 Seasons and they haven't let me down yet, wear is very good (minimal) but most importantly they feel a lot more sure footed in the wet. It's not that the gators are bad or I even had a spill, it's just that the 4 seasons 'feel' better and seem to offer all the benefits of the gators on top.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • meanredspider
    I'm tempted to give 4 Seasons a go next time. Trouble is, I'm happy with Gators and it seems foolish to move away from something that seems to work well for me.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I have no view on the 4 seasons but I tried Gator's on the commuter 'hack' but I got stalled with the number of unplanned deflations so went back to All Condition Armadillo Elites. They roll as well as the Gator's (which remain on the road bike) but, other than a failed valve, I haven't had to break out the tyre levers since I swapped back in late 2010.

BTW, I wrote of a track pump with slime a few years ago. I blew back through the valve and clogged both the pump head and the tube.

Bob
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    have used both and find GP 4 seasons grippier in the wet
  • Mayhemwmb
    Mayhemwmb Posts: 108
    How do people rate Schwalbe Marathon plus in comparison to the four season etc - in the wet I've found mine a bit sketchy - any other views??????
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    Mayhemwmb wrote:
    How do people rate Schwalbe Marathon plus in comparison to the four season etc - in the wet I've found mine a bit sketchy - any other views??????
    I used to use M+'s but after riding on "GP4 Seasons" I will never use them again.
    A harsher ride and inspire no confidence in the wet at all, unlike the "GP4 Seasons" which are excellent in the wet.
    After 9 months on the "GP4 Seasons", I tried my M+'s again and realised how bad the M+'s are.
  • Just gonna add my 2 cents worth. I run armadillo tyres for the commute. Never had a puncture in 18 months using them.
  • hambo
    One thing I can vouch for since trying to just fit one onto a wheel, it's right royal pain to do. Not sure if that's because I'm a novice on or not :( but got it done all the same.

Problem I have now is the presta valve keeps getting sucked into the pump when trying to remove the pump where I have to unscrew it to get it off :evil:
  • hambo wrote:
    Problem I have now is the presta valve keeps getting sucked into the pump when trying to remove the pump where I have to unscrew it to get it off :evil:

This. Beware. I wrote off a number of inner tubes doing this when starting out. Sounds like you're using a hand pump? If so, deffo worth getting a track pump. Much easier getting it on and off.
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • hambo
    Yes, been using a hand pump after getting one as a result of a review read on this website funny enough http://tinyurl.com/7yrre9n wish I hadn't now. In future will stick to my car tyre inflator, much easier and less hassle. Woke up this morning with the type of pain you get when you work out in my forearms this morning with having to fight so much with the tyre. In any case took it into my lbs this morning to see what they can do.
    Sheikhus wrote:
    hambo wrote:

This. Beware. I wrote off a number of inner tubes doing this when starting out. Sounds like you're using a hand pump? If so, deffo worth getting a track pump. Much easier getting it on and off.
  • meanredspider
    hambo wrote:
    Yes, been using a hand pump after getting one as a result of a review read on this website funny enough http://tinyurl.com/7yrre9n wish I hadn't now.

Ah yes - the stupid Lezyne system. I could have given you my one after it unscrewed the valves from my inners. People rave about this system but I don't understand why. I use CO2 these days on the ride. Track pump at home. And the excellent Topeak Road Morph (ooh look, it has a wiggly tube too!) in the office.
  • hambo
    Just an update on an expensive lesson that I learnt today so others don't make the same mistake. I bought the Continental 4 Seasons 700x26 to replace Kenda Quick 700x26. I had an absolutely torrid time to get the wheels on the rims. When I did finally manage to do so the distance of around the tyre and rim was not snug causing a 1cm difference around the rim and tyre against other parts of the tyre (i.e. part of the tyre spanning last 8 spokes would not fit flush to the rims side). Lbs informed me that the Continentals where too small and that I would need to put on 700x32 on the hybrids.

So this can only mean one thing (a) either Kenda Quicks are much wider than what they claim on the tyre (b) Continentals are much narrower than what they claim (c) wheels rim are just not suited to all tyres.

The only ones that shop have readily in stock are Schwalbe Marathons and Gatorskins in 700x32s. I gone for Schwalbe as they explained although tougher to work with in the case of a puncture and more rolling resistance they are generally tougher tyres in his experience so I've gone for these at £30 a pop for each tyre. Time will tell.

On another note bike shop to fit pannier rack and mudguards that came with the bike, 2 tyres, one tube and general checkover is going to cost me £115 :shock: which seems a bit steep as the bike is pretty much assembled but riding a safe bike is important to me. Next on my list is to do a basic maintenance course.

Now looking forward to picking up my bicycle tomorrow :)
  • Hugh A
    Hugh A Posts: 1,189
    On the fitting front- I have found Continental tyres to be rather tight in general but it does depend on rims too. Ones which are fine on Mavic open pro can be a b*gger on factory rimmed wheels. Bigger tyres tend to be easier to fit.
    I\'m sure I had one of those here somewhere
  • hambo wrote:
    On another note bike shop to fit pannier rack and mudguards that came with the bike, 2 tyres, one tube and general checkover is going to cost me £115 :shock: which seems a bit steep as the bike is pretty much assembled but riding a safe bike is important to me. Next on my list is to do a basic maintenance course.

Now looking forward to picking up my bicycle tomorrow :)

hmmmm...most bike shops would fit this for free if you're buying a new bike from them and a load of accessories too...bit late now but next time haggle a bit ;)