On One Whippet carbon

kiwilondon
kiwilondon Posts: 12
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,
After a carbon hardtail - something racy that can do (within reason I know) a bit of everything - single track, fire roads, odd commute etc, no hard downhill work.

Was after a Scott Scale, Trek Elite HT, Cube Reaction GTC or Stumpjumper HT carbon but have noticed the On One Whippets - they seem like good money and have good reviews - I assume they are very similar to the bikes mentioned above..?

Can anyone comment on the comparison between these bikes in terms of ride quality and frame quality? I'm aware the components on the Whippet are lower standard.

Secondly is there anyone in/near London with a Whippet I could have a look at or jump on?

I can't get up to the On One showroom so grateful if so - happy to leave my road bike (Tarmac) and wallet as security so I won't be riding off with your pride and joy!!!

Thanks in advance ~

Comments

• Hi all,
    After a carbon hardtail - something racy that can do (within reason I know) a bit of everything - single track, fire roads, odd commute etc, no hard downhill work.

Was after a Scott Scale, Trek Elite HT, Cube Reaction GTC or Stumpjumper HT carbon but have noticed the On One Whippets - they seem like good money and have good reviews - I assume they are very similar to the bikes mentioned above..?

Can anyone comment on the comparison between these bikes in terms of ride quality and frame quality? I'm aware the components on the Whippet are lower standard.

Secondly is there anyone in/near London with a Whippet I could have a look at or jump on?

I can't get up to the On One showroom so grateful if so - happy to leave my road bike (Tarmac) and wallet as security so I won't be riding off with your pride and joy!!!

Thanks in advance ~
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you want one that can do a bit of everything, then look at the 456 - tougher, though slacker. Or the original GT Zaskar carbons. The rest are race bikes really, and are not built for harder riding (though the whippet is heavier)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Briefly had a Whippet frame (delivered by mistake when I ordered the C456), but have to say it didn't look that much different to the 456 which is considered an excellent robust carbon frame. Whippet is just a little slimmer, takes smaller forks, has push fit BB and not much else different from what I could see. Looked quite nice. That's just the frame.

Lower standard? Depends what you're comparing, but that only applies to the components. On-one's frames are excellent and if you build then you can stick what you like on it. However looking at their site the X9 and Alfine builds certainly aren't low standard components.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    They have a showroom in london, usually have a whippet on display

Bicycle Magic Company
    6 Greatorex Street · London
    E1 5NF
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty