First Vid Edit - FOD

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited January 2012 in Your pics and vids
Let me know what you think... done in about 30mins lol, 1st time I've tried one.

Seems you need a lot more video than I thought!

http://youtu.be/-Rru7NpnXeU

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    first attempt is pretty good..

better to have loads of short action packed clips than long continuous boring clip with not much action..

as a rule of thumb keep clips to around 7 seconds 10 seconds max.. (if you watch a film or tv soap or advert count as the camera changes angle or the scene changes you will see it's always around 7 seconds.)

also alternate angles. to show different perspecive. try doing it from a 3rd person perspective it makes for better viewing imo. or alternate 3rd person and pov footage.. and try and i say try as i aint perfected the technique myself. editing the video to music, (so the scene changes in time with the music) it's quite tricky to do and very time consuming..

keep practacing i look at some of my first video from a few years ago and think oh dear :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: they so bad but we all have to learn and start somewere,

as for the length of video you need, you will be suprised how much footage you need.
    the video i did for bearbackbiking last year of jamie building his bike and taking it out on it's maiden ride, took several hours. i had six hours of footage of just the bike build in the garage, (this was 3 different cameras at 3 different angles) roughly just over 2 hours to build the bike
    then there was the ride it's self that was around 40 min of footage to edit down into something watchable..
  • delcol
    also alternate angles. to show different perspecive. try doing it from a 3rd person perspective it makes for better viewing imo

tell me which of these videos you prefare, which one would you say is better.

both of the same trail just different perspective...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKxKHk7k ... 8AsMry-1ce
    or this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPJH4tf ... ature=plcp

this is the one i did for bearbackbiking.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGaruVPDTu4
  • Great first attempt! It has good action, as delcol says, would really make it better with 3rd person perspective. You watch any of the Pinkbike VOD's, they are pretty much ALL 3rd person shots. It can be a pain as you keep having to do the same sections but the end result is so much better I think.

Keep it up!

Dan
  • delcol
    another good tip.

have a story board, just something basic to stick to,, also helps to scout out or know the trail/area your going to be filming,
    do a recky to see were the best angles are (angles are so important when it comes to doing a video even a picture) the more time you put into this the better your video will be utilise the best angles you can find take afriend or 2 as they will probably see something you wont (ie a different angle)
    also try visiting the place you intend filiming at a simlar time of day to gage what the light will be like. nothing worse than spending 6-7 hours filming to view it at home on the monitor and it's dark and under exposed or blown out and over exposed. (you cant always gage it acurately on a lcd screen on the camera.)

when i shot the video at lee quarry (it was mainly to test out my new lenses) but i had a little story board in my head of what i wanted, (now having a dislocated shoulder and broken clavicle made life difficult) i kinda stuck to it, it was a steep learning progress for me i was pleased with the end result but looking back now there is a few things i would change, (just wish i had scouted the trail for some better angles) but like i said i ws laid up with the fooked shoulder and one handed.
    i stuck to my story though (in my head i never wrote the story board out) it was to film a rider ie our kid riding the first (single track ) climb and follow his journey through the quarry..
    the end result is good i am pleased with it.. but as i have more practace now with this kind of video there is a few shot i would change if i did it again....
  • Cheers guys! Some great ideas to consider!

I always find that once I get to the trail I can't be bothered with filming, I just want to ride haha.. But i guess with some effort I could make something ok.

Difficult at Cwmcarn to video off bike because there isn't much room to stop and session 1 section because its sooo tight!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Cheers guys! Some great ideas to consider!

I always find that once I get to the trail I can't be bothered with filming, I just want to ride haha.. But i guess with some effort I could make something ok.

Difficult at Cwmcarn to video off bike because there isn't much room to stop and session 1 section because its sooo tight!

Indeed, me and mate both have GoPros and we setup various mounts on the bikes to alternate some angles, however we get riding and that goes out of the window so we just end up with continuous footage of the one angle.

We'll sort it out one day.
  • Yep, unfortunately if you want to make a cool video it does take tremendous effort, planning and then editing!

I tend to go with either riding or filming in mind, never both as it's too much of a compromise. Typically, my biggest off's, jumps and drops have been off camera. The way it goes I guess!

Looking forward to your next vid. :D

Dan
  • delcol
    very true Dan.

when we are in whistler we tend to designate a day to go filming and do just that... or we shrelp the park in a morning come off get dinner around 100pm then go out filiming in the afternoon, and do a video over 2 afternoons..

i never been to Cwmcarn so dont know the layout/set up of the place.. but im sure if you stopped and looked you would find angles that would work.. just be warry of your suroundings and other trail users..

if ppl can get away with it my self included in setting up or standing there holding the camera in whistler bike park then i sure you will find something at Cwmcarn that will work...
    some of the xc trails in whistler are tight but we managed to find ways to film them..

just get creative with your angles. use youtube-vimeo-mpora-pink bike-vital and any other websites you can think of, watch other peoples work as inspiration, and give you an idea of what sort of stuff works..

Briggo that 600d is a nice piece of kit and begging for you to get out making some master pieces for us to see, go sacrifice a day to film i know you will enjoy it...

if you ride at the weekend say film sat, then ride sunday..
  • Problem with CC DH is that the there isn't anywhere to really stop on the upper sections, its literally just a single trail with a steep bank on the left and a steep drop on the right!

Plus its so busy at weekends, you can't really be pushing back up the trail/stopping and blocking the routes...

The lower sections aren't too back as its fairly open and there are a load of places to stop.

FOD is perfect though, there are pushups on the edge of each trail so you can pretty much film the DH trails at any point.... plus there are a load more different routes!
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Nice Ben, get someone else to video u ride!!
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2