New bike is broke

lockstock666
lockstock666 Posts: 131
edited January 2012 in Commuting general
Ok so it is not completely broke but after 8 weeks there is something seriously wrong with the rear wheel, once per revolution is makes a grinding noise, and looking down at the wheel whilst the grinding is taking place it seems to become very misaligned. (I'm not the best at decribing problems)

Is this the bearings? Hub? Spindle?

I bought the bike on C2w scheme, is it just a case of taking it back to the shop for a fix? It is not ridable.

What is the warranty period on a new bike and is the problem likely to be covered?

Thnks for any info.

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    8 weeks should be current enough for that to be covered by some sort of free service/inspection that most LBSes do, although you don't say where you bought it.

As for the problem, could be anything, from the details you've given. My top guess would be that the quick release isn't tightened properly...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    sounds like its out of true and is maybe rubbing on the brake?

'new bike is broken' btw
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    thiscocks wrote:
    +1. As has been discussed on here, factory built wheels tend to go out of true quite quickly. Most LBS (where you bought the bike from) usually provide a free check after about 4 to 6 weeks, and re-true the wheels if neccessary.
    thiscocks wrote:
    'new bike is broken' btw
    TheseCocks or ThisCock btw :-)
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • Hi, maybe it is out of true, but its not hitting the brake. I checked the quick release and that was all fine too.The sound is a grinding noise, not a rubbing noise.

Thanks for advice anyway. I better take it to the LBS on Sat.

I know my bike is broken, the ancestral pig farmer in me refuses to F.Off.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    ToeKnee wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    +1. As has been discussed on here, factory built wheels tend to go out of true quite quickly. Most LBS (where you bought the bike from) usually provide a free check after about 4 to 6 weeks, and re-true the wheels if neccessary.
    thiscocks wrote:
    'new bike is broken' btw
    TheseCocks or ThisCock btw :-)
    whichever really :wink:
  • Turns out I had a broken spoke so it was the brake rubbing.

£12.50 for a fix whilst they carry out my free service. Not too bad.