Another (but different!) cycle carrier question

rybah
rybah Posts: 2
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks,
I'm looking for a bike carrier for a Rover 45 hatchback as I cannot get 2 bikes, 2 dogs, the wife and luggage comfortably inside any more. The Saris Bones (other postings noted) looks good, comes personally recommended and will clear the rear spoiler - *but* the hatch is glass edged and although the Bones will fit onto the glass I have heard that the pressure might pull the glass right out. Anyone had any hearsay or personal experience on this matter?
Cheers all,
h

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    can you get a tow bar fitted?

me personally would not trust a bikerack that straps onto the car.. a towbar mounted one would be more secure..

or even a roof one (if your car can take a roof one)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Usually you can find a list of what cars it will and wont work with and/or you can check with the car manufacturer. Glass edged hatches are typically no go. Had such a carrier I used on my old 206 and was fine on that but it's no go for the Civic.

Some come with choice of clips that hook on the hatch edge or big stopper things that sit inside. I prefer the stopper things as they seem more secure, but still these were not an option as I guess the straps put too much pressure on the glass.

As for trusting them, if it's a half decent one and you do it up properly they're fine. Find them hassle though. So much easier to just chuck the bike in the back.
  • dry664
    dry664 Posts: 155
    I have a Saris Bones 2 for my MK5 Golf GTI with a glass edged hatch. You need to get these......
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39570
    ....otherwise you will probably crack the glass.

The Saris Bones is great although its takes about 10mins to gets everything set up each time. If Im going long disctance I will remove the front wheels off both bikes so then its completely rock solid, even if I do accidentally drift above 70mph :-)
  • Anonymous
    Yeah that's the stopper things I was talking about. Mine came with them. Honda say "no" to using them and so did the retailer. Whilst nothing is attaching to the glass, the straps go over the glass edge and the weight of the bike I guess they think is too much for the glass.

Check first if it's approved. Otherwise if anything cracks you won't be covered by insurance or warranty.
  • dry664
    I checked with my insurer and the response was.....
    "There is no exclusion in our policy for a cycle rack attached to your vehicle, as log as it is fitted correctly it will not invlaidate your policy"
    So I guess Im good then!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    dry664 wrote:
    I checked with my insurer and the response was.....
    "There is no exclusion in our policy for a cycle rack attached to your vehicle, as log as it is fitted correctly it will not invlaidate your policy"
    So I guess Im good then!
    Unless the manufacturer of the rack says not to fit it to your car....
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • dry664
    How do I know if VW have said dont fit a Saris Bones 2 to a Golf?
  • dry664
    As far as I am concerned if my insurer has explicitly said that I am covered then I have nothing to worry about
  • Anonymous
    " as log as it is fitted correctly "

That makes it up to you to ensure it's fitted as per the instructions for the carrier and within any limits the car manufacturer says.

In my case Honda specifically say no to fitting these kind of carriers, but the manufacturer also had the car on a black list somewhere. Don't think it was in the instructions, just on a web site somewhere.

Edit: Quick shot at the Saris web site and Golf seems to be okay for the Saris Bones 2, so you're okay.