Griepel looking good...

woodford2barbican
woodford2barbican Posts: 1,505
edited January 2012 in Pro race
What are people's opinions on Griepel for this year?

Cavendish might suffer from his team move, whilst Griepel could be in for a good 2nd year with Lotto....might be interesting come the Giro, Tdf and Olympics.

Comments

• Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Think he'll have the same season as he normally does.

As for the TDF and Olympics I cannot see him stepping it up to win Green or gold.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    January form is no predictor for the big
    Events.

Team GB/Sky seemed to give cav a decent lead out in the worlds after all.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Greipel looks good every year in the Tour Down Under sprinting against... erm... grandad Petacchi and... er... help me out here...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    afx237vi wrote:
    Greipel looks good every year in the Tour Down Under sprinting against... erm... grandad Petacchi and... er... help me out here...

Cav's ex lead-out man?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Suspect he will be third overall in points at TDF behind a person on Sky in first and an Australian for Green Edge in Second.

Not top three for Gold.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Doesn't this argument seem to come up every year? Griepel always manages to put in a good performance early season. Do you think it could be to do with the fact he's a bit of a weights monkey and therefore comes from the off-season full of fresh fast twitch sprinting legs. By the time everybody has some racing days in their legs the playing field evens up a bit. I can't see this year being any different from the last 3 in that if Cav is given the right shot at the line he will get the job done and I cant see how Sky won't give him the right shot on a regular basis.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Pross wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Cav's ex lead-out man?

Off topic a bit but wasn't this a bit of a reality check for Renshaw?
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    how can you put the words griepel and looking good in the same sentence? :shock:
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Off topic a bit but wasn't this a bit of a reality check for Renshaw?

I don't think so. He finished 2nd in the last stage of the TDU IIRC, that's hardly shabby. I think it would be foolish to write him off already. Let's see what sort of a season he has. I admire Mark; the easiest option for him would have been to go to SKY with Cav & Bernie, but instead he's taken a risk and struck out on his own. Good on him.

I don't know if he'd ever beat Cav, but as Greipel showed in the TdF last year, anything is possible on the day.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    tim000 wrote:
    how can you put the words griepel and looking good in the same sentence? :shock:

Bless him, he has got a mouth like a Basking shark! ;)
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    tim000 wrote:

On that note... thisshould really be in Pro Lookalikes but what the hell.

Wallace from Wallace and Gromit
    Greipel_Andre_gdi10st18tdw2.jpg

Greipel:
    wallace-and-gromit.jpg
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell